Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out cruising today and came across a 68 El Camino for sale.I thought it was a malibu. BUT, it has the domed hood, front disc,chrome wheel well moldings, and faded SS396 badges on front fenders (Chevelle on rear qtrs). The body is in good shape, except those add on bed rails and dented front bumper, rust trying to bubble at rear wheel well.
Questions, where is the hood latch on a 68? I want to see if the big block is in there.
Should there be SS badges in the interior? Door panels or across the glove box? (Steering wheel looks like a late model camero, I know what the orig. should look like)
The interior is rough, dash pad is good, Auto on the column, Bench covered with a cowboy rug.
$4500 OBO - No one is home, no phone # and someone else has already put a note on it.
Even if it's a clone it's got potential- but give me some quick things to check quick on a 68.
# on dashpad starts with 134808Bxxxxxx.
Thanks.
PS- what's it look like if a good body shop wields up those holes left by the ugly bed rails?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Take a look into the paint code/numbers page on this site. I just finished researching stuff my newly purchased 68 custom el camino. It sounds like yours is a malibu. But check this site. Also I read that SS cars did not have SS badges in the interior. Good luck...

------------------
71 BB malibu,67 conv
camaro and going...

·
Registered
85 Posts
MoeMan, (& others) VINS that start with...

13480 = V8 2DR SEDAN PICKUP REGULAR (EL CAMINO)

13880 = V8 2 DR SS 396 SEDAN PICKUP (EL CAMINO) (5,190 built)

Also, the hood latch release (standing at the center of the vehicle) is just to the right of the centerline of the vehicle JUST under the front header panel (the part painted body color) above the grill. It's a very small gap to reach your fingertips into. Reach in, hold up the latch while simultaneously lifting the hood.

Even though the 'Camino decodes as NOT an SS396, you NEVER know what you may find under that hood. Someone might have used all of the "goodies" from a wrecked or stripped down, rusted SS396 El Camino.

Thanks, Len

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.