Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoever painted and reassembled my car decided to double side tape all my moldings on my car. I'm about to try to carefully pull them off to strip, bang out some dings and repolish....

My question is, how are they supposed to be re attached to the car? Are they posts with nuts or those little clips screwed or riveted on??

Pictures would be a big help too....

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
The tail molding is held on with these clips. click They slip into the back ( C-channel ) side and the nuts go on the inside of the car.

The side molding uses these clips click that attach to studs that are tack welded to the body

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Side/rocker; For the most part, there are a small studs welded to the body, which holds a clip, that the moldings are attached with. The door moldings are studs/clips in the middle and clips/screws on the ends. If your car doesn't have the studs (if they were removed) you can get a special screw in stud, which the clips go on.

I wouldn't just rank the tape off. I'd squirt some wax and grease remover behind the moldings to loosen the glue on the tape. Try it first in a spot you won't see to be sure it doesn't discolor the paint, like in the door jamb.

The tail molding for 68 is not held on by the clips shown in the previous post. It's an oval shape white plastic piece which is pushed into oval holes in the tail panel, then a studded clip on the ends.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Side/rocker; For the most part, there are a small studs welded to the body, which holds a clip, that the moldings are attached with. The door moldings are studs/clips in the middle and clips/screws on the ends. If your car doesn't have the studs (if they were removed) you can get a special screw in stud, which the clips go on.

I wouldn't just rank the tape off. I'd squirt some wax and grease remover behind the moldings to loosen the glue on the tape. Try it first in a spot you won't see to be sure it doesn't discolor the paint, like in the door jamb.

The tail molding for 68 is not held on by the clips shown in the previous post. It's an oval shape white plastic piece which is pushed into oval holes in the tail panel, then a studded clip on the ends.
I won't know if the studs are there or not until I get the moldings off the car (I know what you are talking about and can picture the studs from prior cars I've done). If they aren't there who makes the screw in ones?

One of the guys in my club (owns East Coast Chevelle) gave me a bag of the clips that go over the studs to try....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts