Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This item just came out, and the vendors claim its for 68 Novas, Camaros, Impalas, and Chevelles with deluxe interiors. I've never seen this wheel installed in any 68 Chevelle, so my guess is that its not for Chevelles. Are the vendors wrong? Anyone know otherwise?

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50
ACES #3784

'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
and the latest - '70 Malibu 454!

See them all at the all-new Rainer's Hot Rod Shop!
[email protected]

·
Registered
244 Posts
Never seen one. It looks like the basic 68 wheel, if that horn shroud was removed. Have any idea how it compares dimensionally?

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about the dimensions. Also, I don't think the regular Chevelle shroud would fit on this wheel. The area where the spokes meet the rim of the wheel does not cut in on this wheel the way it does on a regular 68 wheel. My guess is that this wheel is probably not ribbed like the other wheel either.I guess we need someone to personally inspect one of these!

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50
ACES #3784

'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I actualy bought a 68 300 wheel and it looks exactly like that except in the center it says chevelle. If you buy a 68 sales brochure, I'm pretty sure there is a page showing the standard steering wheel.

------------------
Joe Y.
Itsa ME!
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jerry -

The wheel that I saw advertised was on ebay, and there was only one picture, which is the one above. This particular vendor claimed the wheel fit all the different models. I'm wondering if this wheel is for the standard interior, like Joe Y's non-Malibu car. That would make more sense.

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50
ACES #3784

'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
actually, Jerry, if you remember that 300 deluxe that we parted out...thats the steering wheel you were trying to get.

I have a 68 malibu I just bought a 68 chevelle steering wheel online and unfortunately forgot about the standard and deluxe steering wheels and recieved a standard.

------------------
Joe Y.
Itsa ME!
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

·
Registered
603 Posts
i wonder how much that wheel went for on e-bay. never been there just heard about it.
the ad i saw also has a 67-68 camaro standard steering wheel. $169.95
i would guess someone is trying to sell the steering wheels from the ad.
the pix must be mixed up.
the other wheels are going for$189.95
maybe i can try to call them to find out for sure.
it would be a good thing if the regular 68 chevelle steering wheels were reproduced. do they all have the same cracks?

------------------
ss396 & gokart custom truck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I belive the ad on ebay you are talking about was mine
Since the image above is being pulled from my wesite.. This wheel is listed in the Classic Industries 2000 Catalog as the following..
<p>
1968 Camaro, Nova, Chevelle, and full size cars. The horn cap in the pic is for the Camaro. Other caps will fit also. My main products are Camaro so this is all the information I have on them. They are a new product so Im not exactly sure what the do fit besides the Camaros. They list for $189.99 . I bought a hummm *lot* of the wheels. I was trying to unload a few and still am.. Going price on sale if interested..$159 for the wheel pictured above.

------------------
David
http://www.vintageagain.com

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
The steering wheel shown above was used as the standard wheel on 1968 Camaros and Corvair Monzas. Other car lines used a similar wheel but they weren't the same in that they omitted the bright trim from the spokes and horn button(Biscayne/BelAir, Chevelle 300 & 300 Deluxe, Chevy II Nova.
There was a deluxe wheel (rpo N30) offered on the above mentioned models except Corvairs; furthermore the deluxe wheel was standard on Chevelle Malibus & SS396, Impalas & Caprices.
The best looking of all was the simulated walnut wheel (rpo N34 - Sport Styled Steering Wheel) and it was available on ALL passenger car lines whether it was mentioned in factory literature or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts