Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get the AC going in my '68 SS (factory 4 season air), but I was wondering is there is some R134 compressor that works for this application, is nice looking, and smaller than a bread box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You could check with Vintage Air. Possible source for a compressor, or at least info to point you in the right direction. -- Marv

·
Registered
151 Posts
Air-Tique also have the compressor for $209 (new). If you have a big block, they also have a leftside (drivers) low mount [email protected] $89, I think. I just put both on my 69. If you need GM pulley numbers e-mail me or call 916.681.5687. You will probably have to replace all three pulleys. Patrick
Air-Tique: www.air-tique.com
or 817-641-6933

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you desire to keep the car 100% stock, the OEM A-6 compressor can be used with HFC-134a, and the local parts house will sell them over the counter.

The compressor oil used is compatible with both refrigerants.

If you have the original compressor, all you have to do is drain out the oil compresor oil, and replace it with the PAG lube.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,679 Posts
Or you can have your R12 refrigerant replaced with Frigc. It is an EPA approved substitute available from Pennzoil. It is being used by the U.S. Air Force and others in large fleets. No parts replacement is necessary (except valve). I believe you can get it installed at most Jiffy Lubes.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Marv, I had the same thought and called Vinatage Air a few months ago to inquire about those cool little polished AC compressors. They strongly advised me to stay with the big A6 (I think that's what it's called) unit that most old GM cars came with, when using the stock AC system. There is a smaller compressor used on many later model GM vehicles, but I hear it is much less reliable than the A6. Can anyone confirm or refute this advice?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.