Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took 3 years with Covid/backorders but I finally got my 68 project complete.
Started as a pretty solid car that needed rear qtrs and outer wheelhouses. Has a 555 BBC from Terry Walters Precision Engines - Dyno Run
I swapped the dominator for an ultra XP 950 and will eventually go multi port fuel injection. Trans is a TCI built 700R4 rated to 825hp with a 3600 stall converter.
Still tuning and I'm going to swap the 10 bolt for a Ford 9" that either I build or have Moser do - they built one for my 69 Camaro thats been beat severely and had zero issues.
Also wanted to say thanks to those of you the helped/inspired me. Mark (vortecpro) was going to build the motor for me but I ended up falling into the 555 from Terry Walters by chance and couldn't pass it up. Many of you provided info on tire/wheel combinations and several people provided paint/body advice. All greatly appreciated!!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire/wheel combo is a 17" BG Rod Works Old School with 245/45 NT555 on the front and 275/50 NT555 on the rear.
Waiting on some shrink clamps for the upper radiator hose and get the AC charged. Power steering running hot with a Type II pump so will need to add a cooler or look at the pressure/vol. May be air in it still as well.

Car Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The stinger hood was a my first experience with fiberglass. The hood itself (from VFN Fiberglass) fit perfect but body working/finishing fiberglass was new to me. Its pretty easy to make wavy. A long block and a light touch is critical and even then the hood will get a touch wavy in sunlight when it heats up. If I had to do it over again I would lay some additional fiberglass on the underside of the hood to thicken/stiffen it up. Its not a VFN problem - they build light weight race car panels.

Vehicle Car Window Hood Automotive lighting

Once I put the car in the booth and started spraying the base (black) laid down fine but when I started on the candy ( House of Kolor) which is a teal blue with gold flake I about shit my pants. Static did some weird things pulling the kandy drift out of the air as I sprayed from back to front and it stuck to the hood making it look blue. I didn't even think about taking any pics but wish I had. Once I started spraying the hood itself it laid down fine. I think they make a final wipe down that remove static. That or maybe run a ground strap to the car itself. It was on jack stands but must not have been enough.

White was sprayed and then masked off before a final coat of base black.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

Vehicle Tire Aircraft Hood Airplane
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Hood Automotive side-view mirror

Something you don't see in this pic is a major mistake. I drug the air hose through the water and while spraying I gave the hose a flip to un-twist it and got water drops in the still wet clear on the entire side of the car. Since I was renting the booth and didn't have time I brought the car home, blocked out the entire car with 1200 grit and re-sprayed the clear in my shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice work! Car looks awesome. Love that stinger hood.

When I opened the thread & saw the first photo, I was terrified you were gonna build a purple car. 😁
I like purple but NOT on a Chevrolet.
Factory colors or close renditions and period correct (within reason) day-2 type modifications are my preference.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Plum Crazy is a Gorgeous colour! I thought it looked so good on the firewall! But to each their own right?
have to ask did you modify the header panel to fit the hood or did you get a different header panel...
The car looks amazing...Good work. What was the purple paint for?... just used as a sealer or was that the colour of the car when you got it?
Its the stock header panel. Just needed some minor work on hood/panel for a good gap. The guy I bought it from had started to paint it plum crazy before he lost interest and I bought it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts