Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a tach that would fit in the dash of a 68 Malibu. I was hoping to find something that would fit where the non-working clock is.

Did Chevelle have such an animal or did they mount the tach elsewhere in the dash? I want to get rid of the current tach that's a free standing unit screwed to the underside of the dash under the ashtray.

Does anyone know where I can find something for a nice clean original looking installation?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks guys for all the great ideas! I'm gonna leave the posting for others to read.

After taking in all your ideas and brainstorming with my son and husband, the solution was to create a custom console which will house the gauges, hidden cup holders and act as an armrest. My son wants a clean installation of the new power windows with no controls on the new door panels so the console will have 4 buttons in the front for the driver to control the windows and two buttons in the back of the console for the backseat passengers to control their windows.

Ahhhh, what a mother will do for a son!

[This message has been edited by dwgnldy (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
If you need one I have a factory tach and gauge set up for a 68. If you are interested let me know, I live over the hill in Hayward.

Steve R

·
Registered
319 Posts
dwgnldy, the best thing i have been able to think of is a two inch tach that jc whitney sells. they have 2 kinds on in their catalogue. Nobody like Auto Meter makes a tach that small. And as far as i can tell it would have to be that small to fit around the fuel gauge

·
Registered
47 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Does anyone know where I can find something for a nice clean original looking installation?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take a look at what I did to mine. Click on the link in my signature to get to my web page to see the dash mods. I think it looks better than stock. but that's me. LOL

Good luck,
Wes

------------------
"When the job gets you down, and life's a drag,..........RACE!!"

To see the Fuddrucker's photos check my '68 El Camino Project site below to see them.

The Project Begins! Watch as it progresses at: My '68 El Camino Project

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Funny you should mention this cause at CB'01 I saw a 68 cluster with a factory chevy tach installed in place of the clock. It was probably a 69 tach or a camaro tach. Pretty snifty.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sounds like you want a "Rally Tach" to replace the stock clock. The tach fits where the clock goes, and it looks stock. Its not cheap as I recall, but looks nice. If you email me off the list, I will look for the info.

Kent
'68 Malibu ZZ502/502

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.