Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '68 Malibu with bucket seats. The shifter is on the colume. I've always liked the looks a center consule with that cool looking shifter, the one that looks like a handle. Did any of the '68 Malibus come with a center consule and floor shifter? Has anyone converted their Automotic Malibu to a floor shifter? Also any pictures of a 68 Malibu with a center consule would be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Are you talking about an automatic on the floor without a console? I don't think that was available at all.It would look funny.I know that you can have a 3 or 4spd without a console.I assumed that you were talking about an auto when you said "the one that looks like a handle".I think some people call them horseshoe shifters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, not really. I guess I was a little wordie. My Malibu is an automatic with the shifter on the stearing colume. I basicly want to give it an SS look, with the center consule and the horseshoe shifter.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Converting your column shift Malibu to a floor shift with console is very possible and really quite easy. You need to first make a list of what you will need. Since your car already has buckets, it would be worth a look to see if a factory installed console mount is present. Other than that, you will need at a minimum, a console, a shifter, and a shifter cable. Other items you would need to make the console fully functional, include the wiring harness. Consoles interchange between 68 and 72, with minor cosmetic differences each year. Reproduction parts are available. The conversion could be done rather inexpensively, but depending on the level of correctness you seek, I suggest a bit of research on your part. Run a search for this topic on this site. There is a ton of info available. Pictures too.

------------------
Patrick, aka Merlin
1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed, White with black vinyl top & black interior.
TC#1017

1 - 5 of 5 Posts