Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get the lock cylinder out of the ignition switch on my 68 Chevelle? With and without keys? I have to take one out of a dash that I dont have a key for, and my original one I do have the key. Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't believe you need the key to remove the cylinder but I've never done it without the key.

Pull the steering wheel off and remove the wheel lock mechanism. You will see a small portion of the lock cylinder exposed on the right hand side of the column. There is a little tab that sticks out of the cylinder that engages the column. Press the tab in with a long thin screw driver or other similar tool while giggling the cylinder. It should come out no problem.

Bob

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
RDJunc - the ignition switch on a 68 is in the dash (His username has 70 in it but you may have missed the reference to his 68). The only way to get it out without a key is to drill out the internal tabs through the key hole. Rotate the cylinder to the acc postion, insert pin in small hole and rotate past acc- it should pop out.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

[This message has been edited by Steve S (edited 01-16-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts