Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to remove the instrument bezel. Ive read the manuel but it says to lower the steering colum. It is as low as it will go. Also it sounds like i have to remove the instrument panel before removing the bezel? Any tricks would help.

It seems to be stuck at the steering colum and wont tilt out.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
mines a 69, but the 68 isnt much different. remove the column cover 4 screws. several screws surrounding the dash bezel. couple holding the heater assembly and the ashtray as well, if the radio is original theres a good chance there is a single screw going into the side of it through a bracket you have to go under the dash to see. these steps will seperate the bezel from the actual steel dash, now you will have to loosen the column nuts underneath dash to lower the column to provide enough clearance to yank out the dash. obviously there are several electrical components that will need to be disconnected once you can see behind the dash by tilting it toward you after the retaining screw have been removed. It is a very good idea to disconnect the battery before performing any tasks under the dash. old electric provides for a very good means of car fires. good luck jason.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Jason's description is right on. I just took mine out of my 68 SS. It will come out as a unit (cluster and bezel). make sure you have everything disconnected and keep trying.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
923 Posts
just finished mine. also make sure!!! that you either label or take a pic of every fastener you take off so you know where it goes back on at. don't forget the wedge spacer under the column be careful pulling out the bulbs from the cluster good luck come here and ask questions lot of knowlage here

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Don't pull on the bulbs, it is gauranted they will separate from the metal ring and the bulb will fall into the cluster. Use a small screwriver and pry on the metal ring.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm with Steve on the bulbs.
Be careful not to separate the metal rings from the plasic mount of the bulb. I mistakenly pulled a few out of mine and they never held right after that. Putting the dash back in, several times, I heard the frustrating 'clink' sound of a bulb falling out of the connector and into the instrument cluster. Everything has to come out again to get the bulb out. Then it all has to go back in - - talk about frustrating!

It was a bit of a tight fit, even after dropping the steering colum down.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just re-installed my 68 dash. I agree with all the comments above. One thing to keep in mind is that the wiring harness itself is connected to the back of the cluster. There are two clips that hold it in place which are taped/wrapped into the harness. Unless you pull these clips out, you will have to disconnect the fuse block at the firewall. You might be able to tilt the bezel out enough to release these clips.

I found removal to be easy - putting it back was hard. Factory air on my car made things more difficult than it will be for most cars without. In order to succeed I decided to remove the column (not just drop it). I then had a helper sit in the drivers seat and hold the dash almost in place while I reconnected everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts