Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions for front speaker locations on a 68SS. I was going to replace the center dash with a speaker set from NPD that replaces the single center speaker, but I understand they are not any good. I hate ot cut into kicker panels, or sheet metal. But if I have to........

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
They make kick panel speakers built into a custom kick panel. The original panels come off and get put away. I don't think any cutting is involved. Believe these will take a dye for colors other than black.
Years ago I guy I knew got a couple of drive-in speakers and kept them hanging from the windows. Think they came from the last row at the drive-in.
http://www.customautosounds.com/classic/kicks.html

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If only I could find a Drive-in!

By the way...NPD had the wiper switch. Got it today, and hope to get it in today or tomorrow. Will let you know the results.

Thought it was a good time to think about replacing that single speaker, but I understand those dual speaker set up doesn't sound good.
I would rather put them in the kick panels than the door panels, if i had to.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm getting the kick panels for my setup. But I'd put some good aftermarket speakers in there instead of the ones they include, just make sure they'll fit. While you're in there, put in some sound deadener as well. I'm also putting 6x9's in the rear deck with possibly an 8" sub in between. we'll see. good luck.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Originally posted by ctrain22:
If I go with the kick panel route, about how much metal can you cut out to make room for the speakers? Isn't there moisture in that cavity?
I don't think there is any cutting involved. It's been awhile since I've seen a set of these at OPG. Maybe ask Custom Autosound who reps in your area and take a look at them.
It doesn't rain in Southern California that much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts