Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me about this "option", I bought a 68 chevelle with these fender mounted displays and wiring. However I thought this was only an option on corvettes.This is not an SS. If anybody has any info I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Tim,

Vigilites or Light Minders were an option up to 1970 I believe. I think they were available for a host of cars too (Caprices, Camaros, Chevelles, Caddies, etc.). The option is quite rare I believe and these fiber optic set ups bring in $$$ on eBay. If your car had this option then I think you are quite lucky. I hope it works. I bet there are some others on this board who have more info.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Tim,

It is a neat option to have on your car. You could have basically gotten it on just about any GM car in the late 60's and early 70's. You mentioned wires, these are fiber optic cables that plug right into the lamp sockets themselves and take the light right from the lamp. Don't cut or bend these. If the light you see isn't real bright, you can unplug them from the lamp sockets and clean the ends. Lets more light through.

If yours work, don't mess with them. Usually the lenses (GM called them fiber optic jewels) get a little cloudy and the chrome bezels on the front fenders deteriorate. If you need to replace those, you can find them on ebay on occasion. Usually quite expensive. Replacement front lamp bezels are available reproduction, but the posts are larger diameter than the originals from 68,69 and 70. You might be able to make them work.

I have these on my 69 Malibu, came from the factory that way. It is definitely a conversation piece.

Woj

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by ben70:
Tim,

Vigilites or Light Minders were an option up to 1970 I believe. I think they were available for a host of cars too (Caprices, Camaros, Chevelles, Caddies, etc.). The option is quite rare I believe and these fiber optic set ups bring in $$$ on eBay. If your car had this option then I think you are quite lucky. I hope it works. I bet there are some others on this board who have more info.

good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ben, thanks for the info, There in good shape and I will make sure they stay that way. Thanks again..
Originally posted by ben70:
Tim,

good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts