Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have added a amp to my stereo, and just added electric fans for my new radiator.

So... I decided to change the alternator from the stock 55A to a 95A, which is also internally regulated.

The new alternator also came with a connector with 2 pigtails (I assume that this is for the internal regulator). I attached one (red) to the post which has the +12V lead. I attached the second (white) to a lead which goes to the ignition switch.

I assumed that this is/was correct (no wiring diagram).

However, the engine would run-on for a few seconds before stopping? Then, I noticed that the "GEN" light would glow with a heavy load. I took it to a mechanic, and they measured the current as only 20A being put out of the alternator (at 2000 RPM). He added a line from the alternator post, directly to the battery - the current then measured as 60A to the battery. Why???

However, the "GEN" light still glows - I'm just assuming that the car's amp guage is in this line, and therefore doesn't see the 60A going to the battery directly.

So what is going on?

Baffling...

>>>Rod<<<

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think I might have an answer for why your engine wants to run on after the ignition is turned off. When I first put the electric fan in my Chevelle, it would run on when I turned the key off, but it only did it when I had it wired straight to the battery. As soon as I wired it into the ignition switch, the run on problem went away, and coincidentaly, so did my charging problems. Hope this helps some.

--------Jerry--------

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the fans, the relay goes both to the battery, and to the fuze panel, where it is tied to a switched fuse; i.e., it takes the switched lead to the relay pin which operates the thermostatic switch, but the fan half of the relay does go direct to the battery.

As far as the external regulator, I did pretty much what the tech section said (I looked at it last nite). I took connector from the regulator and jumped the two leads to get the lead from the alternator pigtail to the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Rod
I'm not trying to be smart, but if the alternator has a plug in which the terminals look like this (--) it is internal reg. If they look like this (=) it is external. A whole lot of strange problems turn up if the wiring changes are not done correctly. And the addition of the extra wire MAY cause some strange things.

And finally one last thing. Years ago I had a rambler with a gen lite that would not go out. Turned out to be a blown fuse in the fuse box-don't remember which one, but it sure was strange.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
(soon to be TPI)
ACES # 00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.