Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 Chevelle and I got new door panels for it. The other day it was hot and the chrome horizontal molding fell off. Now I don't have no moldings on my door panels. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know of a good glue or something that will hold them on when it is hot.

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Your mouldings are glued on? Originals were attached with sharp pointed tabs that stuck through and folded over on the back side. Try replacing your glued ones with the correct type and they will never fall off. OPG has them for $18.00 for the fronts and $12.00 for the rear. Other companies should have them too, but make sure they are not the glue on type like you have.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
My original molding appeared to be some how melted or fused onto the original door panel. I think it is the repo trim that has the clips described above, or it may be another one of those "early/late 68" things ( mine's late).

I've had pretty good luck using 3M emblem adhesive to hold the original molding to the repo panels. My original moldings are also a tad bit longer than the indentation provided in the repo panel, so that also causes some problems, as far as getting it to lay flat.

BTW: I'm in Arizona, 110° is the norm during the summer( probably 130° on the inside), and they are still holding 3 years later.

[This message has been edited by Gene McGill (edited 05-28-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I've parted out a couple 68's, and the original door panels have had the "glued on" moldings.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
& the newest - '70 Malibu convertible!
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.