Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blowed the fuse for the dash lamps. I unhooked the wire that went to my tach and under dash gauges. That was the easiest to try. Still blows a fuse when the light switch is pulled out. All the rest of the lights still work. Does the 68 have a printed curcuit board? I used the search feature and saw about circuit boards and other things to check. I haven't checked under the dash very close yet to see what might be loose yet.

Any opinions and help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rick

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
68 does not have a circuit board. All dash lamps have a separate grey wire and lamp holder for each one that plug directly into the metal dash. What changed that caused the fuse to blow? The lamp holders have a metal insert that gets stuck in the metal housing rather than coming out with the holder. Then the bulb falls down in the cluster. Have you removed any lately to replace a bulb?

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't done a thing. Was driving home from son's ballgame when all at once no dash lights. Haven't had time to crawl under there and look yet. I am hoping something is rubbing on the clutch or brake pedals. Will hopefully be able to check it out later tonight. Daughter has a ballgame first.

Thanks for the info. That makes it easier I hope

·
Registered
196 Posts
I did'nt know they where any 68's still going

One at a time till you find it,probly :(

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
look for shorts in wires that are rubbing metal or bulbs sockets at have fallen out ... they are prone to coming apart like the pervious post said .. it will be easy to see what one fell apart as the spring part will be in the dash & the wire & plastic won't .. don't remove any unless thats the last option....you will break one or two...I use a very small tipped dental tool to pop the sockets out from under the spring part just pullling on the plastic doesn't work real well..... there are lots of lites under there don't forget the one that does the heater controls its on the other side by the glove box.. good luck

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I think I found what it was. There was a socket hanging down by the ashtray. It is the wire and part of a socket. But no bulb or holder for the bulb. After I moved it away from metal I put in a new fuse and it didn't blow it. I am not sure yet where it goes yet but I will find it.

Thanks Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts