Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before, but I didn't find all the information that I wanted in the history section.

Can somebody provide a digital picture of where the clips are located for a 68 console?

Please provide whether the clips and attaching parts are original or whether they are aftermarket replacement parts. Also, (this part is important) are the replacement parts correct as for as form,fit, and function?

I see that Year One and Muscle Factory offer aftermarket subject parts. Any comments or other knowledge appreciated.

Thank you for your time and effort.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I may be wrong, but I thought 69 was the first (and only) year the console seat belt clips were used. 70 and up used the plastic 'pockets' on the console.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill,

Good question/point!

When I bought my 68 convertable it had 69 bucket seats in it. It also had a different motor, trans, and rear-end. I felt that it might have been a recovered stolen vehicle at some point. The console had chrome (pitted) metal clips on the sides of it. During the five year full body off restoration, the console was an item I replaced as a complete assembly, (along with the seats,engine,rearend etc). I had the clips rechromed and never installed them. Recently I've been thinking about installing them. Now I'm not so sure.
Maybe I'll just put them on e-bay. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
875 Posts
As Bill Rose states, your 68 console should have the belt clips. Same as 69 but in a different location. If your console is not a 68 unit, but it is original GM, you can find the exact location for mounting the clips, by looking for two raised marks for each side, inside the console base. These marks correspond to the mounting location for the clips. One mark is a vertical rectangle with rounded top, and is flush with the bottom of the console base, and is the notch for the clips tang. The second mark is a circle directly above the notch, through which the mounting screw passes. Clips should attach so that they are flush with the bottom of the console base.
If, on the other hand, your console base is not GM, you will need measurements or a template to find the exact location for the clips. Sorry, I have neither. Cannot commment on the reproduction clips, as I have never personally seen one. Hope this helps a bit...
Patrick

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Geez, I guess I better stick to the 69's
. Great pictures, Elree

1 - 7 of 7 Posts