Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinion and advice. I need to get a conlsole for my 68. It was an original console car, so the mouonts are there. I have been watching ebay, and broken consoles that need some repairs are going for about $200-225 plus shipping. A new one from Ground Up and NPD go for around $250...brand new. Is the quality of the resto parts poor enough to warrant going used? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
From what I have heard the repro PARTS are good (I bought some pieces that were decent) but the bases are terrible quality.

Some guy on here ended up buying a base off of Ebay and fitting it with all of the rest of repro console parts (I know this story is in the archives). Unless you are doing a concourse restoration, I say buy a busted one and fix it, I did and after a little fiberglass, little bondo, coat a paint, I think mine looks great. JMHO!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got a used console and shifter for around $200 off ebay last year. I had to make up my own harness for neutral switch backlights for the shift indicator, and backup lights, but it looks pretty nice. Took it completely apart and repainted the whole thing. Looks like new. Did have to buy a new set of the shifter seals, but they're only about $12.00.

My .02 worth

·
Registered
158 Posts
Go for a good used one. You will be glad you did. I went through this same ordeal two years ago with my 68 Chevelle. All the bases (new) are poor quality compared to the original bases. I got an original for $310. off of ebay. No cracked or broken mounts,I just had to get a new console lid and a new top plate because some had drilled holes in te plate to mount a tach. I have a little more in mine with the new pieces,but with the original base Im much more satisfied than taking a chance on the flimsy repro base. Mark ----------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Chevelle Malbu (Weekend Cruiser) 1968 El Camino (Daily Driver)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts