Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st off I bought my chevelle from someone who chopped all the wires from the fire wall and left them that way so Im guessing on all this.
OK I got this wiper moter off this 69 buick skylark doner car The wireing is similar the colors match up yellow, lite blue, blue and black. but... the wires on the 69 have a stripe the wires from my 68 fire wall are not.
I hard wired the wires together an tested it worked turn off evrything
now when I go to take off last night the wipers come on on dont turn off now
do I have a bad switch now or is my wireing all wrong.
oh ya got the page up if anybody is interested
http://www.geocities.com/paineles/index.html?1020014914750

[This message has been edited by paineles (edited 04-29-2002).]

[This message has been edited by paineles (edited 04-29-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
What wiper system do you have? Hideaway (factory called them depressed) round motor or non hideaway square motor. In either case if the black wire is not grounded (at the switch) when the switch is in off, the wipers will not shut off. The hide wipers will run at the base of the windshield, in and out of the hide position. The non hide will continue to wipe as thought they were in high speed.

Use an ohm meter or a test light (you can connect the clip of the test light to bat +) to test for correct grounding of the switch. I reconnected the drawing to the link in the correction post.

Post back if you need additional help.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 04-30-2002).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I had a chance to check it out today

looks like the wiring is correct according to the wiring diagrams you'll sent me

the wipers are not going to the hide position they just go back an forth w/o hiding no turn off no speed control just constantly on.

as far as the blue wire being grounded at the switch the switch is way up there and I got lots of insulation behind the dash I think that was a concours thing

so I think I got to pull the dash which I havn't done before yet. looks like 6 screws I hope; is there else to look for
thanks for the help so far
paineles

------------------
64 Chevy truck flatbed 4 sale
64 Chevy truck stepside
68 Chevy Concours Chevelle 327 4 door
86 Jeep Cj7
http://www.geocities.com/paineles/index.html?1020014914750

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
In my last response I said the ltblue wire should be grounded when off. That is not correct, it’s the black wire that should be grounded when the switch is off. You can check for correct grounding of the switch without pulling the dash. Disconnect the connectors at the wiper motor. Use an ohm meter or a test light to verify that the black wire is grounded when the switch is off or low and that the ltblue wire is grounded when in lo and hi. If the switch functions correctly then as John stated ”The relay inside” is bad. The run switch (2) is not opening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok Elree (sorry) I just checked it out the black wire is always beepin (grounded)when I turn the switch off-low-hi so is the ltbklue wire either way I guess that means a bad switch right proberly why they removed the wiper moter before I got the car
Whoops I said yellow wire up there I meant the ltblue like Elree said in his post
sorry for the trouble
Tom

[This message has been edited by paineles (edited 05-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by paineles (edited 05-02-2002).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts