Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
What are you looking for? Does this car have all the things you want or would you have to buy it and then make a lot of changes to get what you want? What do you really want to find?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
It's worth a look. Bring an unbiased second set of eyes.

There is so much overpriced junk on CL in the Bay Area that when an add with a potentially reasonably priced car appears it makes you wonder if there is a hidden problem.

Steve R

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm more so worried about body work issues. I'm planning on doing most of the mechanical work myself, but can't really do any body work. I'm looking for something that currently runs, but needs some fixing and tlc over the years to get where I finally want it. Not a complete beater, but nothing really nice either. Not the biggest fan of the motor as my end goal will be a 454 bbc. But the rest of the components seem suitable for a 454 swap down the road and it seems like it runs

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I'm more so worried about body work issues. I'm planning on doing most of the mechanical work myself, but can't really do any body work. I'm looking for something that currently runs, but needs some fixing and tlc over the years to get where I finally want it. Not a complete beater, but nothing really nice either. Not the biggest fan of the motor as my end goal will be a 454 bbc. But the rest of the components seem suitable for a 454 swap down the road and it seems like it runs
The body is what would concern me the most also.

Steve R

·
Registered
563 Posts
68's are tough. I have a sentimental attachment to 68's because that's the year I was born. I always thought it would be cool to have a car built the same year I was born, but I've noticed over the years that 68 is an oddball year.

Even though the 68 and 69 look very similar, the 69 will always draw more attention and bring more dollars all things being equal.

Honestly, that car to me looks like it needs a LOT of work. I'd go over it with a fine tooth comb and keep 68 pricing in the back of your head as you do so.

I just sold my 68 convertible over New Years weekend and it was a long process. I had some interested parties over a few months, but everyone who showed up in person nitpicked the Hell out of the car. I had a ton of lowball offers that were frankly insulting.

Finally an out of state buyer inquired about the car. He made the trip over the 4 day weekend and we agreed on a price. The car left Saturday the 31st. I will always believe that if my car had been a 69, I wouldn't have had the issues selling it that I did.

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
If its in your price range and its got what you want in a car, I would go look at it. I wouldn't worry about it being a particular year as long as we're talking 64-72. To me the point of owning a old chevelle is to have fun and use them. Certain years are easier to sell but they are all great cars. If your into it for the investment, buy a 70 or 66. I have a weakness for el caminos, talk about a model that gets no respect. But I have as much fun working on and driving my 68 el camino as I have driving my 66 chevelle.
Compare the car hobby to say , golfing. You can spend alot of money on course memberships, clubs, balls and beers every year and after five years all you have to show for it is a nice tan. You buy a car today and drive it, and keep adding to it, in five years you'll still have a nice car. Jim

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
looks like rust/rot in the l/h door jamb in the rocker also looking around the rear window looks like rust/rot also the left rear quarter panel . the seller claims its rust-free maybe its just my bad eyes idk ! if it is in fact rust free looks like a pretty nice 68 ! worth taking a look at ! as mentioned bring a extra set of eyes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts