Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went with my friend to check out a 68 chevelle tonight.

Body:
From what we could tell it looked pretty straight. It had rust on the quarter panels, common problem w/ all chevelles, and there was some rust on the panel below the back window. But other than that the body was pretty good looking. It probably needs new weather stripping and chrome, but thats not hard to find. It also has a decent SS hood.

Interior:
It needs, Carpet, front seats, possibly new back seats, back shelf, sail panels, head liner, dash pad, and a few minor things. The floor boards are in perfect shape too.

Engine compartment:
There is no engine, which isn't a problem but the engine compartment is in awesome shape. It does not have power stearing, power breaks, A/C, etc. but again the fire wall and the frame and everything look really nice, original paint on them still shines.

It has a 4 speed tranny in it, not sure which one, and it has a 10 bolt rear end, but no one knows the gearing on it.

This car would be a project car so it is ok that it needs work. Now the guy that is selling this car wants about 1200 for it, but will probably let it go for 1000. Does this sound like a good deal for someone that wants a chevelle to restore?

If we go check out the car again, i will try to get pics of it and post them on here.

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
Now I am no expert but from your description it sounds like an Okay deal. On the quarter panel rust, does it need full quarters? These are VERY HARD to find( which means expensive (ie $2k+ each). The back panel runs around 75 bucks and is not too bad of a piece. Interior stuff is available and would run around a kilo buck to get the pieces needed. If you need seats they run 150-300 for fronts and slightly less for a back seat. My 68SS I currently own was $2k in 93 and was similar to what you described. Also Just in case you don't know 68 coupes are easy to identify as Super Sports by the first few digits of the VIN 138= SS 136 does not. If you could get it for a grand it would be a better deal. It is getting hard to find good project cars. I lived in Las Vegas as a poor airman(Nellis AFB) in 90-91 and saw some pretty sweet cars, projects to fully done. I found a RUNNING 69 SS396 in a scrap yard that I could see from the south end of the runway of Nellis. Unfortuneatley I could not afford the $3k the guy wanted. Lastly if you have not done much messing around/restoring on these cars it can be expensive. (ie are usually a labor of love and not a good return on the investment but hey money isn't usually why most of us do this stuff.) If you can get the pics you might get some more good opinions on the deal. Good Luck
Ok one more thing if you have buddy(s) who does paint/body have them check the car out to see if it would be reasonable to fix the body.

------------------
Jeff Angerstein
ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 Pro Street
69 SSRS 396(427) 4spd
87 MC SS

My Chevs
My Favorite
There are two theories to arguing with women.... Neither one works!

[This message has been edited by ACE841 (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I messed up on my post, it was the front fender behind the wheel that is rusted on both sides, and one of the quater panels looked like someone jacked the car up from that spot.

yeah i know that the VIN starts w/ 136 so its definately not an SS, just has the hood. Another thing, its very hard to find a Chevelle in decent condition around vegas anymore. I got lucky i bought mine off of my sister because it needed an engine rebuild and some other things.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
Ok one more thing if you have buddy(s) who does paint/body have them check the car out to see if it would be reasonable to fix the body.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually my buddy works at a body shop so getting a lot of the stuff done will be a lot easier.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you are looking for a good investment and return on your money, this may not be the best deal. However, as a project car, I think $1000 is a very fair price to pay, particularly if you intend to do the majority of the work yourself. Good Luck

------------------
Patrick, aka Merlin
1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed, White with black vinyl top & black interior.
TC#1017

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
The Last 68 FULL quarters I saw for sale were $2200
That is the only ones I have seen for sale in a few years. That mayhave been for the pair but I don't think it was. OF course you can use the repop partials for a substantially less amont of money.
Hopefully Goodmark will start making them.

------------------
Jeff Angerstein
ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 Pro Street
69 SSRS 396(427) 4spd
87 MC SS

My Chevs
My Favorite

·
Registered
4 Posts
Krillind8z actually posted this message for me while I was at work. I am interested in buying the car.

The panel under the back window needs replacing, and since i have never seen patch panels for around the UPPER edges of the rear window, I will have to make those.
The lower rear edges of the front fenders are gone, but patches will work for those too. The other thing that bothers me is that someone welded ho the holes for the vinyl top mldgs, and a few of those have popped through.
I will have to replace the rearend housing, due to someones poor welding job attaching the rear control arm mounts. Krillind8z has another housing out of a 68 that I can swap internals with. I will also have to swap out the manual steering and brakes so my wife can drive. The floor boards are immaculate, and the 4 speed tunnel has never been cut for an aftermarket shifter.

I am taking one of the bodymen from my work with me tomorrow to look at the car again, and if he says ok, I will offer the guy $900.
Does this sound good???

and advice would be greatly appreciated as I know more about Camaros than i do a-bodys.

------------------
James..

1997 Z28 M6 t top
and a 68-70 chevelle to be named later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
By the way, Jeff (ACE841) I am originally from Salem. Do you know a guy by the name of George Burns that drives a 70 Chevelle that runs 11.40's, its black with silver stripes, and he lives in Turner.

------------------
James..

1997 Z28 M6 t top

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Make sure and get all the clutch linkage, if he has it. Also check and see if the trans is a Muncie/T10 or a saginaw by figuring out if it is aluminum or iron. Saginaws also have all the shift levers coming from the side cover, Muncies will have two from the side cover, one from the body. If the car is primer be very careful.

Steve R.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
James, let me know what he says about the car, and dont forget to get some pics of the car if you can, i dont think the guy will say no.

------------------
David
69 Chevelle
Project Car/Daily Driver

·
Registered
4 Posts
From what I can tell, except where the vinyl top holes have been filled, it is all original paint. It also has a fathom green 69 SS hood on it in good shape.

------------------
James..

1997 Z28 M6 t top

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
I don't know George but I think I have seen his car at Schlotky's(old A&W on Lancaster)and he might've street raced with some other guys I know from Albany, Justin and Adam Brennaman. They both are driving mid 60's Mopar's that run in the high to low 11's. Did you get any pics of that car yet? Did he accept the $900 offer?

------------------
Jeff Angerstein
ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 Pro Street
69 SSRS 396(427) 4spd
87 MC SS

My Chevs
My Favorite

[This message has been edited by ACE841 (edited 06-09-2001).]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well unfortunately the car is not worth it at all. There is a lot of rust that had attempted to be covered up. So that one is out.

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
Bummer
Good Luck

------------------
Jeff Angerstein
ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 Pro Street
69 SSRS 396(427) 4spd
87 MC SS

My Chevs
My Favorite

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.