Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I had posted a letter a couple months back about this topic, but I wanted to get some new ideas. Here goes. I have a 68 chevelle. I know its not an SS because of V.I.N., lack of plastic inner fender wells, 10 bolt rearend. However, it has full factory guages with a factory tach that redlines at 5000. It also has a factory console with buckets. I have yet to see another chevelle with a factory tach that isnt an SS, let alone with a 5000 redline. If anyone has any information on this option package, please let me know. Also, if there is any information that I didnt give that will help you decipher something, please let me know! Thanks in advance! This is a GREAT site! -----Jerry-----

·
Registered
32 Posts
the tach you have with a 5000 reline is for a small block 5500 is for a bb low horse 6000 is for 375 hp plastic inner fenders have nothing to do with a car being an SS

[This message has been edited by trw (edited 05-22-99).]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually TRW, plastic inner fender wells DO have to do with SS's. They were installed on reall SS's. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
The tach was available on things other than an SS.

RPO U14 - "Special Instrumentation" - was available on V8 Malibus and SS396 only. It consists of Clock, Tach, Ammeter, Temp, and Oil guages.

The tach itself was also available as a dealer installed accessory. It was part # 987099, and available to anyone who wanted it installed.

As for the plastic fender wells, I'm pretty sure that was simply a factor of what was available on the asembly line. I've never come across anything which would indicate otherwise.

And while I can't be 100% sure, and I can't go check (car's out of town), I think I've got plastic ones on my 300 Deluxe. I'll have to check and get back to you next weekend on that.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
The Team Chevelle Showroom. [last updated May 17, 99]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Boulevard/6987/
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Kurt. I guess I could be wrong on the fender wells. I wonder how many non SS chevelles had factory tachs. I know there is no way to know since they were also a dealer installed option. It might be rare though. Thanks again!

Jerry

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have to side with trw on this one. I have a real 68'SS396 with metal inner fenders. My factory tach redlined at 5500 rpm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 68SS also has the metal inner fenders....as stated above maybe it depended on what was available, and what plant the car was assembled at.
As for the tach I couldn't tell you my car didn't have that option, but I picked up a complete unit a few years ago that I plan on installing when I redo the car.
The tach starts it's yellow around 5200 and turns red at 5500....any ideas out there??

·
Super Moderator
13,142 Posts
Cant help with the tach, but I always heard that the plastic fender wells were on cars built for the snow areas, so they would not rust as bad. My 71 Heavy Chevy has plastic, I purchased it new in the Washington DC area, so who knows.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I have been out voted on the plastic fender wells. Sorry TRW. Thanks for all the input about the tach. Sounds like it might be at least somewhat rare.

Jerry

·
Registered
446 Posts
My 69 Malibu was ordered, built in Fremont, sold in San Leandro, Califorina.It came with the plastic fender wells. Not much snow on the California Coast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.