Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i'm just getting back into street cars again! been 20 er some years. been finding it hard to find some parts for my 68 malibe, steering wheel, headlight plunger and knob! are they oddities er what?

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
The items you list are 68-only parts. I think the light knob pieces are chevelle-only, but the steering wheel appears to be used on the 68 Camaro, Nova, and Impala, with the exception of the "Malibu" badge (removable/replaceable)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks! yeah figures i would chose one of a kind! but i like the challenge! just found a good yard in phx for parts! i'll have to check them out this week!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Those parts you need are not available in any catalog (that I've ever seen) As salvage yard will be your only hope, or if you're REALLY lucky, you may find them at a swap meet.

Finding parts for a 68 really sucks.

Kurt
68 300 Deluxe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the encouragement byfield! LOL
i'm finding this out! but found a couplayards in phx to check!
thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
One oddity for the '68s were the 396/325 horse air cleaner body with the single snorkel that pointed out 90 degrees. Another oddity to the '68 are the keys (actually '67 - '68). GM had used a certain Briggs&Stratton blank from '35 - '66. For '67 they revised the guide slots and increased the # of key combinations. After '68, GM went with the ignition/steering/transmission interlock, and switched from the old octagon head to the familiar rectangular head. P.S. Don't forget the weird roller tach.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks cam! you guys are a ray of sunshine! hahahahahaha
well i said i like a challenge! just spoke to a yard in phx who swears he has the parts! we'll see thurs when i get down there! thanks again!

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I'm really upset by the roller tach. I think it would really look cool to have the big speedo on one side and a big tach on the other side surrounded by gages. If anyone has attempted this PLEASE E-MAIL ME PHOTOS AND OR HOW YOU DID THIS! I'm starting a new job (first REAL job out of college) and am going to buy another 68. I want a drop top with ps/pb, front tall spindle disk brakes, new vette engine/trans (6 speed manual) and will be starting to build the beast next year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
post script!
my GF was getting the 68 insured yesterday and got rearended in the insurance brokers parking lot! aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh
any one know where i can get a really nice rear bumper for a 68 malibu? sheesh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.