Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys the other day a friend of mine went to look at a 69 camero and evertime they left the key in the ignition I noticed that there would be a buzzer under the hood to remind you that the key was still in the ignition. Now way back my dad had a 68 chevelle and I thought I use to remember that his chevelle did the same buzzing nosie when you left the key in it but I don't really remember as I was just a kid. What I wanted to know is do the chevelles actually have this key reminder buzzer or was I just dreaming??? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yes Chevelles have the same set-up. It's the horn relay that makes the buzzing sound. Located up by the radiator. When the key is inserted it pushes a couple of metal strips together which grounds a wire leading to the drivers door switch and horn relay. If the driver's door is open the relay buzzes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do any of you guys know what color the wire is that goes to the buzzer relay that is used to power the buzzer? Also do you know what color the wire is that runs from the ignition to the door switch? Because mine does not work and I would like it to

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It's usually a multi-colored wire something like pink/black where all the other wires on the horn relay are a solid color.
Try grounding the relay terminal with that wire on it. The relay should buzz. Don't hit the one with the large red ones on it. Melts your jumper wire.
They usually don't work because the tabs inside the steering column get bent (69 or later). You don't mention your car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I grounded out the relay and nothing happened not even the smallest spark and I checked the pink/black wire for voltage and there was also nothing there so now what?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
with no key in the ignition switch the pink will be completeing the ground and you will not get a voltage reading
if you grounded the relay connection where that wire goes and no buzz then the buzzer is bad

·
Registered
500 Posts
I hate that stupid buzzer....mines getting unhooked this weekend.

·
Registered
504 Posts
my '71 chevelle has it-for the key being in only. exact same buzzer as my grandmas '68 cutlass. very anoying, stays on for about 1 second after key is pulled out. It stops when i close the door and leave the keys in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts