Chevelles.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with the hood on my 68 SS Chevelle popping up far enough to get fingers in there to open the hood. Original hood, new hinges, new pop up spring. I have lubed the hinges and made lots of adjustments in an attempt to get it to work correctly. Unfortunately no success. Anyone had experience with this issue? If so how did you solve it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
In 68 did the SS have larger springs than the non SS? If not they may have just gotten weak.
My 72 was doing the same, I replaced the springs and solved the problem. Had standard springs on a domed hood, replaced with larger cowl hood springs. Also way easier to lift it now.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Is the new pop up spring the same length as the original?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding Philip. I am not sure if the springs were sifferent between SS nad no SS hoods. i will have to look into that. I bought new springs but I will go back and see what I bought.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for responding Alwhite00. I did compare new pop up sprint with old and they are the same length.

·
Registered
607 Posts
probably more to do with the adjustment of the latch assembly,if the pin is not centered in the latch hole it can hang up,my squarebody suburban was like that.i had to take my fist and lightly pound on the hood it would pop.a little adjustment to center the pin and works like a charm.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
This would only be a function of hood latch pin alignment or pop up spring. My pops up just enough to get my fingers in there. With the hood up, can you push the pop up spring down on the pin easily?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all that have responded to my post. I will focus on the latch area to see if I can solve my problem. I just took my Chevelle to a shop for a paint job. I will work on the hood issue once I get it back. I have been slowly working on rebuilding it for several years. I'm now retired and trying to get it finished. I was driving this car when I met my wife in college so eager to get it back on the road after all these years.

Stay Safe Out There.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I am having issues with the hood on my 68 SS Chevelle popping up far enough to get fingers in there to open the hood. Original hood, new hinges, new pop up spring. I have lubed the hinges and made lots of adjustments in an attempt to get it to work correctly. Unfortunately no success. Anyone had experience with this issue? If so how did you solve it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I did after I bought new reproduction hinges and springs for my 68. Per Willie they do not make the correct springs today for 68 and 69 Chevelles. Also my new reproduction hood hinge was loosening a rivet so I sent my originals in and had them rebuilt by Willie. Repros are junk. He is a member here and can be reached at 434-258-2606 or [email protected].

BTW there are two hoods and hinges for 68. The SS and Malibu are the same but the spacing between the hood bolts are spaced different depending when they were made. Repro hinges are further spaced. 69 is also a different hinge and hood. Per Willie only the 66-67 and 70-72 springs are available. I bought used original springs from him and they are fine. Nothing is easy with a 68....

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
254 Posts
Well, there’s one advantage of having a ‘67 over a ‘68. Ha! My bet is it’s indeed the hood release mechanism causing the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All good suggestions. I will inspect hinges for loose rivets and make sure latch is working properly. Thanks for the contact also.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts