Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 chevelle and none of the ligths on the guages work except for the turn signals and the high beam indicator. The turn signals bulbs are connected to the back of the speedo and so are the other bulbs but they don't work there is also 2 screws in the back of it right next to the speedo cable and i was wondering if those were for anything? Can somebody please help me

thanx

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
The bulbs with the grey wires are your dash lights. It could be a fuse, it's the smallest fuse in your fuse panel, I believe. You are aware that if your light switch knob is turned fully clockwise, the lights will be off, right? Thats the easy stuff, I would check those first. Try rotating the light knob, even if it isn't turned down all the way just to rule out a dead spot in the dimmer control as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried turning the knob both ways, all the way and all that happens is when i turn it all teh way to the left the dome ligth turns on and all none of my fuses are blown but on my fuse block there are 2 little male connectrs with nothing attached to them. they are "acc" and "lps" would that mean anyhting

thanx

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my radio also doen't turn on but my fuel gauge works, i also have a set of aftermarket gauges which consist of
amp meter
temp
oil pressure

and my all of my brake lights work

if that will help at all

thanx

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
I guess it's possible that all the bulbs are bad, it may be worth checking. I'm guessing a bad dash light dimmer rheostat on the light switch though, or the wiring coming from the dimmer circuit. Do you have a volt/ohm meter to check out the circuitry? To really trobleshoot it any further will probably require one. You might try pulling out the light switch and inspect it fo obvious damage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i went to the chevy dealer and they said they wouldn' be suprised if all the bulbs were burn't out so i just got back from autozone and bougt some bulbs and put them in and they still do not come on. so i guess i am gonna have to take a look at the dimmer switch. were would the ground wire on the back of the dash be located

thanx

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Max
Try what Gene has suggested. Get a meter or test light from AutoZone or somewhere else. Doubt it's a ground wire problem because the other lights up there are working. Measure or test both sides, of the small fuse Gene mentioned, to ground. Put the meter lead on the fuse clips and not on the fuse. Lightly scratch the clip a little to get a good connection. If you don't see 12 volts, a guess would be to look at the switch.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The dash light dimmer switch is part of the headlight switch. The headlight switch knob rotates making the dash lights brighter or dimmer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i found a new dimmer switch to put in but i can't get the old one out. my chilton book says it says i have to take the dash cover thing off, and it just isn't that easy. But i have gotten that cover off enough to where i can grab the switch but i am not sure how i am supposed to take it off or disconnect it b/c i can't see the whole thing but if i knew what i had to disconnect and where to disconnect it i could take it off adn put the new one in. can somebody tell me exactly what i have to disconnect.

thanx a bunch

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i probably should have done this ealier but i jsut measured the voltage on the fuse box nad with the fuse out i got 14v on the right side and 0 on the left side b/c there was no fuse so what does this mean. what could be the problem now?

thanx

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Put a new fuse in. That small fuse Gene talked about is the dash lamp fuse. Your switch should be good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how do i take the dimmer switch out and any place i cna out a fuse there is one in it that isn't blown.

thanx

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got the little bolt that holds the dimmer switch in place but i can't get the knob off. i tried pushing on that little spring and when it went down i pulled on the knob and it didn't come out. i have a green, back, white wire coming from my radio into a connector that splits into a black, blue, green, and a gray wire and the gray wire is cut does that mean anything can somebody please help me!!!!!

thanx

[This message has been edited by maxst420 (edited 01-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by maxst420 (edited 01-11-2002).]

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
to remove the knob, pull the knob out, as if you are turning on your headlights, then push the spring button, then finish pulling the knob out. Disconnect your battery first, as your headlights will be on until you disconnect the wiring from the switch otherwise.

Measuring the voltage at the fuseblock with the fuse removed isn't really telling us anything. Put the fuse back in, and if it is good, you should be reading the same voltage on both sides.

The gray wire being cut means your radio light won't be working.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i got a good reading at the fuse block on both sides so what are the possible things that could be wrong at this point?
thanx

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
THe fuse is between the lights and the switch, so that tells us that your light switch is good. The ground for the dash is made when the upper left mounting screw for the dash is installed, as a metal tab gets sandwiched beteen the dash bezel and car. This piece of metal has tha light switch and wiper switch mounted through it. It has a tab coming off of it which then gets screwed to the back of the speddo housing, supplying ground for all of the lights on the dash.

Your next step should be to verify that when voltage is present at the fuse, it is present at the light bulb contact of any one of the grey wires. If it is, then with the dash in place, with it properly grounded as described above, you would have to have lights. Note that a light will not light if it is just dangling behind the dash, the metal part of the socket has to be grounded.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just replaced the switch and the light bulbs aren't dangling. and they still don't work at all but the switch still turns my head lights on and my dome light doesn't work anymore.

thanx

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Try measuring the voltage on the fuse while turning the knob to dim the dash lights and see if the voltage changes. It should.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts