Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking my ball joints were toast everytime I pull in my drive. Come to find out that the body shop didnot tighten the new coresupport bolts when they did my car. I checked them and they both spin and I cannot tighten or loosen them. Three questions. #1 Shop says they can only be tighten so far because there is a sleeve in th ebushings? ANyone had to shave down the sleeves on the repro core support bushing kits? #2 Can I just go to Home depot and get th eright type of bolt and washer and nut? If so what grade size etc ... should I get? Or should I just call OPG or Year One. #3 How do I get that damn nut off of that bolt? I do not have air tools. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Q # 1. Yes they do have a sleeve and can be tightened down so far. I was just reading other threads and people were saying steel sleeve / bushing needs to be shimmed up because of aftermarket core support.

Q # 2. I would use a grade 8 bolt the same size of the existing bolts. Others will say you dont need a grade 8. I say you should for good measure.

Q # 3. If they were recently installed by the body shop they cant be that frozen. Spray the bolts down with WD 40 / 3 in 1 oil, go crap and smoke a cig put a wrench on one side and a rachett on the other and screw them apart. You should not need air tools for this . If the old bushing was used new ones would be in order. The body shop should of installed them as well as shinned up bushings for you or at least brought it to your attention. Lazy. Get them from any place like opg, year one, tru connections, ground up.

·
Registered
859 Posts
What did you have done on the car at the body shop?, Did they have the core support off?. Once the core support is tighten it should not move if done correctly. If it was me, I would have the car back in there shop for them to do it right, If that what you paid for. even being aftermarket mounts they should of shimmed or cut the sleeve down. Its like installing an aftermarket fender it just needs finessing

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had them paint my engine compartment and they said I needed new core support bushings. It still has its original core support. DO I shim it with washers? I think they may have crss threaded it with an air gun. Thanks for the replies!!!! I will go blow up that body shop on Monday! I wish I could !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts