Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the posting ad: "68 Chevelle SS Clone Convertible.402 Big Bock rebuilt 2014/2015,Rebuilt Muncie 4 Speed with new Hurst Shifter,Bucket seats and console.Black with Red interior.12 Bolt Rear."

I'm going to look at this car in a couple of days. I've been through a dozen or so classic car classifieds to get a feel for prices, but like with anything not original, it's like apples to oranges. Other than it ends up being a fixed up rust bucket, I'm wondering what someone's thought on this car in the 35k price range? I know theres a ton of varibles that go into it, but wondering if I'm starting in the right ballpark. I've owned late model fast cars and my last car was a nice 57' Chevy hardtop(should have kept that one), but I'm looking just to make a solid buy that I'll probably sell in couple years anyways to get something else. Not looking to make money(though would be nice) and would like not to loose money if possible when I sell it. What do you think? Also, anything I should look for besides the rust in the rear window area and on the inner rockers?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
Boy a lot of wrong things at a quick glance. Seats are 69 and up. Power steering pump is wrong and alternator is on the wrong side. Cheap fan. Still has Malibu side moldings, (actually missing quarter panel trim piece) wrong exhaust tips. Should be a black dash, Red seat belts in the front while black in the rear. No clue about the steering wheel. Has a Chevelle emblem and a SS on the back. Would like a pic of the front and some detail. No stripes. Oh the door panel arm rest is crooked. It screams half ass! Be careful.......

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I'm not against a clone, but it should be done half decent.
I am not either. Actually a well done car can be every bit as good of a driving performance car as a real SS it just will not be worth as much in the end. At 35k you are getting close to a driver quality 68 SS so why not go that little bit more and protect your investment. Especially in 68 or earlier versus 69+ where that VIN 138 screams I am an SS. 10k difference is a minimum difference in price for real and not real but you get that back and maybe more at selling time.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
It’s a nice looking car but not much of a clone SS (looking at the under hood pics). If there’s not a bunch of plastic filler covering rust, it’s a fair asking price. Beyond that it depends upon the condition. Be aware that the sales value is dependent upon the visual impact and irrational appeal that it creates with a prospective buyer in the future.

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
The newer the paint the closer you need to look for rust. A ten year old paint job isnt holding any secrets but a 1-2 year old could be holding plenty.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Actually I prefer a very well done clone as opposed to a true SS for Several reasons. 1. 99.9% of people aren't gonna know the difference. 2. I don't plan on selling - will pass it on to my Son. 3. A well done clone is going to be usually cheaper than the real thing depending on what options the clone might have - you can clone a Malibu to your exact wants - engine, rear end, suspension, etc. Keep in mind it has to be very well done - I've seen many attempted clones that are complete disasters. Good luck with your search...

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
254 Posts
There are a lot of things non-stock looking about that engine as well. Makes one wonder what is out of sight that’s not right.

I too have no issues with a clone (as long as advertised as such) but it still needs to be right....otherwise why bother? Just sell it for what it is....Malibu convertible.

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
advertise it as a big block 4 speed 68 chevelle convertible. the car would sell itself.
Like seeing a 70 chevelle advertised as a clone with a sweep dash, small block. but they put a domed hood and emblems. jim

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but if you like the car then who cares what it is or isn't. I hate the terms clone and tribute, because they're held to a high standard by most, expecting them to be presented exactly like a true SS, minus the 138 in the VIN. There are some mismatches under the hood, with the trim and interior, as mentioned. It's a Malibu convertible and that's what it should be advertised as. IMO, asking price is 10k too high without even seeing it in person. I wouldn't be scared of any of it, if you're handy. If anything, they're just leverage for you to get a better price. Decode the trim tag and figure out what it was vs what it is now. When you go to resell it, list it as a big block 4 spd 68 Malibu vert, like Jim said. Make it your own or make it a more consistent clone, either way you shouldn't have any issues selling it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with Mel0Yel068.

If I liked the car and everything checked out, I'd buy it whether or not everything was a perfect to an SS. You know why? - cuz as soon as I get it home I'm gonna make it mine and change up what I dont like.

In the case of this car, I'd probably take all the SS emblem garbage off and set it back toMalibu. Other than that, it looks like a beautiful car..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts