Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the hinge for the center console storage compartment door on a '68 spring loaded or not?

I'm replacing the broken console in my '68 El Camino and I believe that it is original. The storage compartment door of the broken console has a non-spring hinge and no latch. When I ordered a "68-69 w/o spring" console door hinge from a supplier, the hinge they supplied was spring loaded. After I told them I needed one without a spring they sent me a non-spring hinge that matches my old one but it's in a bag labeled "Console, Door Hinge, 1970-72 Chevelle." The part # on the bag matches their catalog part # that says "70-72 w/spring."

I'm assuming that a '68 console door hinge didn't have a spring. Correct? I'm also assuming that the reproduction door hinge manufacturer, Resto Parts, is mislabeling the bags they package them in.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
I'm assuming that a '68 console door hinge didn't have a spring. Correct? I'm also assuming that the reproduction door hinge manufacturer, Resto Parts, is mislabeling the bags they package them in.

Thanks,
Greg
I believe that both of your assumptions are correct. I know the first one is. :)
BillL

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
If it is spring loaded, simply cut the end of the spring off that makes it spring loaded. Then it will work like it should.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,822 Posts
Since the 68 door doesn't have a latch button it wouldn't stay down if it was spring loaded. You are correct.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Did 69 consoles all have a latch? I might have a 68 console? It does NOT have a latch, but a ball and indent (which 'could' be called a latch I guess?) I replaced the small spring in mine when I installed the console a few weeks back...

Since the 68 door doesn't have a latch button it wouldn't stay down if it was spring loaded. You are correct.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
dmg1029/ David. Your console with that style of hold down catch is a 1969. A 1968 console had the seat belt clips mounted at the bottom of the console shell. A 1969 had them mounted farther up the sides of the console shell.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
1968 and 1969 console doors are different. A 1969 has provisions for the spring latch catch that a 1968 does not have. Just a little more information on the subject.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Thanks Dan/Ron. That's great information. Learn something every day.. I don't really like the way the 69 console stows the buckle side of the shoulder belt.. It seems all bunched up to me...

Don't want to hijack the thread from the OP.

Greg, noticed you are in Spokane. I'm from Spirit Lake just northeast of you. I live on the Oregon coast now, but visit from time to time. I had another 69 Chevelle then. Ron painted the car for me. Hey Ron, what to paint another one?

·
Gold Founding Member
5,822 Posts
Greg, noticed you are in Spokane. I'm from Spirit Lake just northeast of you. I live on the Oregon coast now, but visit from time to time. I had another 69 Chevelle then. Ron painted the car for me. Hey Ron, what to paint another one?
Hey David, I thought that was you. No, I am out of the paint business, my broken arm got too bad for the work. Wow, you really get around, a big move from TN to Oregon

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it is spring loaded, simply cut the end of the spring off that makes it spring loaded. Then it will work like it should.
Dan, I think that you're right. It will be easier than going thru the hassle of trading what I have with my supplier.

Greg

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greg, noticed you are in Spokane. I'm from Spirit Lake just northeast of you. I live on the Oregon coast now, but visit from time to time. I had another 69 Chevelle then.
David, when I was a Boy Scout (MANY years ago) we used to hike from Camp Fosseen in Mt. Spokane State Park over to close to near Spirit Lake and back. Would get my 50 miler award.

Greg

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
OK, someone correct me if I am wrong. I know the difference between 68/69 and 70+ consoles. I once had a console that had a 68 lid and a 70 base. I thought the 68 lid had a separate spring, which was not incorporated in the hinge to assist with the door. Mine had a spring dangling from the lid with no place to hook it to the 70 base.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, someone correct me if I am wrong. I know the difference between 68/69 and 70+ consoles. I once had a console that had a 68 lid and a 70 base. I thought the 68 lid had a separate spring, which was not incorporated in the hinge to assist with the door. Mine had a spring dangling from the lid with no place to hook it to the 70 base.
The hinge on my '68 console is not spring loaded and it doesn't have a catch or lock. It just lays in place. ARK68SS has verified that the '68 didn't have a spring. Here's pix of the hinge for a '70 - '72. It has a spring -- the hinge wire is extended and bent in such a way that when it is opened, it wants to spring back to the closed position.

Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
I thought the 68 lid had a separate spring, which was not incorporated in the hinge to assist with the door.
I know the hinge didn't have a spring. As I said my cross between a 68 and 70 console had a spring that was dangling from the lid with no place to hook it to the 70 base. As it was that way when I bought it I am unsure if it was supposed to be that way.

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
Did 69 consoles all have a latch? I might have a 68 console? It does NOT have a latch, but a ball and indent (which 'could' be called a latch I guess?) I replaced the small spring in mine when I installed the console a few weeks back...
David, in addition to the ball and spring which is incorporated within the lid there should be a plastic catch on the forward edge of the storage compartment. I have seen some 69 consoles with the catch missing. Ball and spring won't work without the catch.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Thanks Brad. Fortunately I have both. A simple design that works.

I purchased my console several years ago and just installed it this year.

David, in addition to the ball and spring which is incorporated within the lid there should be a plastic catch on the forward edge of the storage compartment. I have seen some 69 consoles with the catch missing. Ball and spring won't work without the catch.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Brad you are correct about an assisting spring. You could have drilled a hole in your 70 base for the other end of that spring that had no where to go. A 68 had a hole in the console base. This spring we are talking about on a 68 console, does not have anything to do with the console door hinge. It mounts to the console door and to the console base. A 68 console door is a one year piece, not the same as a 69 console door.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts