Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
assembling my 68 dash and I seem to be missing the small spacers behind the center vent wheel..(3937153) I am sure they are not available,but has anyone successfully improvised for these spacers?,if so, how and what material?. I cant find anything on the forum or google..thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?..I find it hard to believe that no one has needed these spacers or has successfully imitated them

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine's out right now. IDK if I have the piece you need or not, I'll have to go check mine to see what you are talking about. My dash was pretty butchered, not even sure I don't have the same problem as you. It is a 68 with factory A/C, but the condenser and misc parts were yanked before I got it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Are you talking about the pieces on each end that go between the plastic housing and chrome center vent? I think it is felt similar to the kind used on the Astro vents. At least I think that is what was on mine when I took it apart to clean it. My car is still in a million pieces right now but I have my dash out in the basement. I will try to remember to get you a picture in the morning. Let me know if this is not what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts

#5 is a tiny piece of hard rubber that puts tension on the vent to keep it from rotating. I can't remember what I used, some thing rubberish that I had around the shop.
BillL

·
Registered
205 Posts
This is what was in mine. It looks like the felt that was used as seal 3855562 on my astro vents. This felt could be wrong for the astro vents too. I don't really know how it left the factory. My dad was around 9 years old when my car was built, so I am a long way from ever seeing an unmolested and unrestored car. I am sure Ark68SS knows what originally came in there better than I do (from what I have seen on here, he really knows 68's) but mine were different. Like I said in my other post, my car is in pieces, and I cannot comment on the functionality of them over the long haul. I don't think they would be too hard to replicate in some form of rubber.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
It may have been felt. I know that one of mine crumbled into pieces when it fell out, so I had to make something that would work.
The purpose of the pieces is to put enough pressure on the axle of the vent so that it won't flop around, but not to be so tight that the vent is hard to adjust. Any materiel that you can find that will suit that purpose should be OK. I don't think anyone's ever going to look at it but you. :)
That vent doesn't work worth a damn anyway. It just blows air into the rear seat area, or on the middle passenger if you have a bench seat. I made two little wings out of thin plastic with slits that I inserted in the vent so the air could be directed towards the driver and passenger. They worked well.:thumbsup:
BillL

·
Registered
205 Posts
That is all that's in mine. They are just sitting in there. No glue or anything. I am converting my non AC car to factory AC during my frame off, but I haven't ever used it. I bought a 69 system while I was looking for the 68 stuff, and the 69 center vent seems like it would work better. Obviously they are not interchangeable, but as ark68ss said, the 68 seems to leave a lot to be desired. I probably like the chrome 68 look better, but it doesn't work as good. I may have to come up with some kind deflectors like bill described.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts