Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
say there's a 66 chevelle and a 68 camaro in about the same shape, think it would be a even trade? I'm talking driving complete project cars, not show cars or a dilapidated piece of yard art. jim

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is a Chevelle forum...Chevelle all the way, now if it was a '69 it would be a tossup IMO...

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
The Chevelle hands down, full frame, front steer linkage, more room for around the same weight, better looking, vent windows, four link rear suspension, comes in a sedan for a better drag car..

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
somehow my phone double posted this.
68 camaro has been my bucket list car since I was 15. drove my buddies 67 350 4 speed car and its a bit cramped. no room at the house for another project or car so one has to go before one can come home. just kicking the idea around to throw it on craigslist to see what might pop up. Hardest part, I know whats in my 66, whats been rebuilt, whats been replaced. And I brought it back from a rolling carcass to a driving car. jim

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
276 Posts
Hard to part with a car that you've restored and lovingly cared for for many years! That's my problem....not enough space for my present desire (build a '67 SS, including a period correct 396 L78).

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
I'd make you an offer on your 66 Jim if I had room to keep it out of the rain. I'll take a Chevelle, particularly a 64-67, especially a 66 over a Camaro any day. But Camaros aren't bucket list cars for me. So it's your call. Only you can decide if the value is right for you.

Devin

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I couldn't decide either... '67 Camaro ss/rs 350 4 speed, '70 SS 396, 4 speed and '66 SS 396 4 speed.

I had a buddy that thought he wanted a first gen Camaro really bad, until I had him sit in mine. He's 6-4 240 and it was a tight fit. He bought a '72 Chevelle. It's so personal, only you can decide, or not and have both...;)

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
6,924 Posts
I had a 67 Camaro 327 3 spd that we put a 4 spd in when I was in my teens, 5' 10" 150 lbs. it fit like a glove, very fun car but I don't think I'd swap one today for my 68 Malibu (Never say Never right), you did say "Bucket List" so I would swap but I'd go over the Camaro with a magnifying glass, JMHO, in 76/77 me and another guy were going to swap cars, I had a 65 Impala 327 and he had a 68 Malibu 307 that he couldn't outrun me street racing with, his mother wouldn't let him because my car was older LOL

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when we were looking at the 71 camaro (307 powerglide) my folks bought me for my 16th birthday day, a guy pulled up in a candy red 68 camaro, SS 350, 4 speed, he was selling it for less money, already hotrodded but my dad nixed the idea. Probably what got me hooked on the 68, 2 friends had 69 firebird which I perfer over the 69 camaro. Amazing how something makes a lasting impression when your young. jim

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
I have had both and currently own both with one being a 68 Chevelle convertible and the other 1971 Camaro SS in partial restoration. I owned a 69 Camaro SS for 30 years pictured below and still regret the day I sold it. The Chevelle is a special car being a L79 and very good looking with excellent road manors. Comparing my 69SS or 71SS Camaro to my 68 is an apples to oranges comparison. The Chevelle is more comfortable, certainly a head turner but the Camaro's are a lot of fun and very sporty. Value wise the first gen Camaro has an edge although 69 is the big year for max money but I am assuming these are not SS or Z28 special models.
IMG_1665.jpg

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
threw a ad on offer up and craigslist, its free so I figured why not. got a few offers to buy it (not for sale), but no 68 camaros. jim

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
threw a ad on offer up and craigslist, its free so I figured why not. got a few offers to buy it (not for sale), but no 68 camaros. jim

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its still not a 68 camaro though, might try swapping the 70, but I really like my 70. And the people that saw the car the day I brought it home, couldn't believe anyone would waste their time on it. Driving it out of the garage 3 months later. 20200305_201844.jpg 20200305_201844.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Chevelle hands down, full frame, front steer linkage, more room for around the same weight, better looking, vent windows, four link rear suspension, comes in a sedan for a better drag car.
Agree with everything Hydro462 stated if going at it for a mechanical perspective. I have both but more for sentimental reasons. I'm partial to the 70 Chevelle as it was my first car in High School. The 68 Camaro was bought for my wife as a present due to what she grew up with. Though after restoring both to what we wanted in either car, I easily have twice the money in the Chevelle. I'm more pro-tour and she's more stock with minor handling updates.

Mike

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've always wanted a 1st Gen Camaro since I was a kid, it been my dream car.
The Chevelle was a family heirloom that I bought in my 20's, so I just dont see me ever selling it, even so i could get a 60s Camaro.

Maybe someday I'll have both, wich is the only logical answer....:D

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
main reason I'm trying to trade one off is i don't have room for another car. ones gotta go before another one comes home. ive got a few "how much" reply but as we all know, you cant replace most of these cars for what people are willing to spend on one. no point selling a car for say 10k when it's going to cost twice that to get what I want and probably won't be a big block 4 speed 12 bolt old school hotrod. jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts