1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I think they are unrated. I like them, I am a little biased cause my car has the same seats :)

My mom used to drive one. It may have been a 69, not really sure but it had the same tail lights. I remember hers had a cool GS flippy thing over the trunk lock, that I dont see on this one. Hers was about the same color.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reserve is $35K. Ouch. Seems kind of steep for what it is but it IS a nice looking car.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
i think these cars rock. i think 35k is a little steep in this market, but i've seen these change hands quite briskly in the upper 20's. i stopped to see one in new mexico once, and before i could get a question out, a guy pulled up and handed him 28k cash, and drove it away. the one thing that bothers me, is i don't think the wheel tire combo is right, but that could be the original buyer cheaped out, but i seem to remember different rims for these rides....

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
I prefer the 1968 grille over the busy 1969 grille. By 1969 it reminds me of what Chevy did for Corvette styling for 1958, namely heavy chrome.

That car in the ad has a nice optional woodgrained wheel. Normally Buicks from 1968-70 had very ugly steering wheels.

The wheel covers look correct. A bit homely but correct and an unusual change from the chrome plated wheels you always seem to see on these cars.

Note the colour of that '68 GS400; Burnished Saddle. That colour was offered in Canada on all Chevies & Pontiacs, whereas it was normally an exclusive Buick colour in the U.S.

These cars are still underrated. A Stage 1 or a GSX is another story... $35G is probably wishful thinking in this market though.

I personally like that car.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It ended for under $14K. Didn't meet reserve (I have to wonder how much that affects the final bid price). I hope expectations catch up with actual selling prices soon.

I would have paid $15K for that car in a second (as I am sure many others would have)

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I would have paid 15k for that, I like them, different looking. I like the '69's with the functional ram air hood, some Stage 1 stuff, great sleeper.My roommate had a '68 4 door in college. He drove it for a while but always thought something was wrong w/ the way it ran. We loked at the plug wires and discovered someone had them all crisscrossed. We could'nt believe it ran at all.After we got them on right it ran great, especially for a $600.00 car. Mr.4 speed, any other cars you care to disclose that you have waiting around to restore? I could take one off your hands!

·
Premium Member
28,749 Posts
Mr.4 speed, any other cars you care to disclose that you have waiting around to restore? I could take one off your hands!
a 72 GS 455 convertible,70 GTO and the aforementioned 69 GS 400/4 speed
I don't like to show off :)
I just finished up a frame off on a 71 Cutlass S with a 455

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Nice! You going to restore them all? Did you get all of them back when they were affordable? Any of those will do, I am not picky!I really like the color on you '70 SS. Was the '71 a real 455 'S' car? They were very rare from what I have read about them, kind of like a 442 w/o all the badging?

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Chris, sounds good, post some pics when you get a chance, be neat to see what you have and what condition they are in.Intresting the ad says it came w/ a 430 not the 400, but has the 400 valve cover decals instead of the 430? Wonder if the factory put 400 valve covers so no one would think it was a 430? If they put the 430 in why would the valve covers be changed? Just started ripping into a '67 430 for a Wildcat convert. , pretty rare car from what I have gathered.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
That year seems to be the least popular of the GS's.

Chris, how can you document these cars and determine a real one or not? Are they easier to document? Vin perhaps?

I have a line on a possible 70 GS455.

·
Premium Member
28,749 Posts
Chris,cowl tag and VIN tell all on those Buicks..which is a good thing.
I once had a 1970 GS455 4 speed convertible...1 of 129 built..and I sold it :clonk: :sad:
It was a nice #3 car..I made a ton of money on it,but I knew when it left I did the wrong thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts