Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a set of bucket seats that the guy said were for a 68 chevelle, gto, or cutlass. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is true, and if the buckets for these 3 cars are the same or they differ from each other? Also how much would this set cost? They look in pretty good shape, one of them has a couple of rips in it but the other is good. The tracks look good also.
thanks
lucky3

[This message has been edited by lucky3 (edited 01-02-2000).]

·
Registered
244 Posts
From all I've heard, these seats are the same except for the covers. The way I identified the set I bought was by looking for them in the Chevelle catalogs. There are full color pictures in some of them. The price can very greatly, depends on what you will pay. I'm gong through a bench to buckets conversion myself. Also my experience has been that when tearing apart 32 year old parts, you will find things you don't like.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have heard the only difference is the covers also. Remember 68's don't have headrests. Beginning on Jan. 1st 1969 all passenger cars had to have head restraints-head rests. It's too often I see buckets advertised as 68-72 buckets when they are different in 68. I just paid $150 for a pair with all the plastic hardware in good shape. They need some new foam and recovered. Mine are out of a 70 so they have the headrest. I have sen pricing from $150-300 with all of them needing recovered.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lucky,

Well, those 2 replys are right. People are taken when 69 and above seats are sold as 68's. REMEMBER, 67 and 68 buckets on the chevelle have the seat release button on the side and NOT in the middle of the back of the seat. Also to note, 68 chevelle buckets also could have the head rest. It was an option for 68 chevelles. Yes, I agree that the seat covers are different between 68 gto's, cutlass and chevelle. They are the same seat frame and will recover to the chevelles specs. I was one of a lucky few that bought a set of 68 seats for around a $100.00 a set. I also had to make sure that the seller wasn't blowing smoke up my ***, and I made sure they were correct for 68 chevelles. Mine needs recovered for perfection, but not for a daily driver or just a cruisin machine. My seats are solid, plastic needed that 2000 finish to make it glossy. But other than that and the buttons missing, they are a comfortable seat that is hard to beat with an universal bucket seat. Also beware of the nasty rats and mice that have other plans for the seats. (I have been told a pretty funny story about that)
Good luck and if you need some more info, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well i hate to tell you all that i got a pair of real nice 68 buckets for $50 with a nice original rug. one thing none of the replys have mentioned is that the seat backs and bottoms are metal on the 67 and 68 buckets not plastic like the 69-72's also expect to have to replace the side springs especially on the drivers side. good luck

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
mal68ibu,

I thought 68 buckets were of the plastic backs/sides. I believe the metal stopped with 67. My L78 seats are are plastic side/backs and the other has 69 GTO seats covered(by me) with 68 Chevelle pattern. I like the looks of the head rest my self. (Back of my head prefers it too
)

------------------
Jeff ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/ace841b.jpg
www.chevelles.com/showroom/ace841c.jpg

[This message has been edited by ACE841 (edited 01-04-2000).]

L

·
0 Posts
Some 68 seats do have have headrests. I believe 69 was the first year headrests were required, but optional on certain earlier years.

·
Registered
95 Posts
True or false.......did 68 buckets have the metal seat bottoms that cover the bottom of the seat??? What about the backs?

Interesting facts guys!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.