Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the negative battery cable bolt to the water pump with a bolt or stud?I've seen them both ways,is there any reason for a difference?here are two pics one is an original unrestored car with a bolt and the other is a very nice restored car with a stud.
Van

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your pics aren't there, but to answer your question, there should be a stud on the upper rt w/p bolt. It's in the assembly manual, and I've seen it on several unrestored big blocks. I've also seen bolts, but does that make it correct, or do we go by the assembly manual:confused:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "your pics aren't there"but you say that the lower picture is correct buy the assembly manual.
thanks,Van

·
Premium Member
507 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
I see both pictures.
I don't know which is correct but the stud makes more sense.
I see both pics now as well. The 1st looks like Dave Dodds very original 68 which has no stud?? The 2nd is my 68 which has the stud, as shown in the assembly manual. I've seen both on original cars, so I can't only conclude that either would be correct, but as Dean said, the stud makes more sense.

PS: The battery cables were installed during the assembly process, which would mean, the painted upper water pump bolt had to be removed to install the ground cable. With the stud, it would only require tightening the nut on the stud, thus not taking the chance of breaking the seal between the water pump and the block.

That same stud/bolt also holds the smog pump bracket, which was installed during the engine assembly process, which is why it was painted orange.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
That same stud/bolt also holds the smog pump bracket, which was installed during the engine assembly process, which is why it was painted orange.
Interesting topic...and I don't mean to hijack your thread. Also, this may interest nobody but me but I want to get it out there for search purposes. FWIW, I went through this on my 66 recently. All I had read and seen said the bolts were painted. When disassembling my car I noticed not a speck of orange paint on the upper water pump fasteners....but lots on the lowers. I have concluded (maybe incorrectly) that the upper bolt & stud on my 66 were removed and replaced with unpainted studs during the assembly process. This was done to accomodate A.I.R. which was a CA only item in 66. I believe the driver side stud is longer than the standard one to accomodate the additional smog bracket that shared the stud with alternator bracket.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see both pics now as well. The 1st looks like Dave Dodds very original 68 which has no stud?? The 2nd is my 68 which has the stud, as shown in the assembly manual. I've seen both on original cars, so I can't only conclude that either would be correct, but as Dean said, the stud makes more sense.

PS: The battery cables were installed during the assembly process, which would mean, the painted upper water pump bolt had to be removed to install the ground cable. With the stud, it would only require tightening the nut on the stud, thus not taking the chance of breaking the seal between the water pump and the block.

I know your right about the first picture but I wasn't sure about the second one but I'm sure you know your engine when you see it,I took the pics of your car and some others at ACES Nashville this past year for some color and plating documentation while putting my cars back together and found this thought it was strange to see a bolt on one car and a stud on the other.thanks for the help,
Van

1 - 9 of 9 Posts