Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing original 1968 am Delco radio, have a few questions.

First, In back, there are 3 male terminals. One says "positive", middle says "Gnd" and the 3erd says "speaker". I hook up all three, but no sound. The light comes on to show grid, so it is getting power, no sound. any ideas?

Secondly, the push buttons are not working. they were werking, but recently stopped. They are trying to move but when I release button, dial moves back to original place. Like it won't release and "pop" into correct locked in position, where it suppose to or wants to go. Instead, as I release button, it moves right back to original position. Any ideas here? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What other speaker ground? this is not a dumb question. I am the dummy. Please go on and explain.

I have 2 speaker wires. Each wire has 2 wires. I figured since it is just AM radio...no FM....I simply conceted both speaker wires together (so all 4 wires are together) then connected to Speaker outlet on radio. Is this wrong? Tx. dave

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Dave. You have 2 wires, each consisting of 2 leads. Could it be these wires are shielded wires? In that case the shield might be grounded, but that will probably have no effect at all.

The speaker has 2 terminals. One goes to the radio, the other goes to ground. So you will only need 2 leads to connect the speaker.

As for the push buttons. This is purely mechanical inside. Some sliders are moving as you push. The last 1/4 inch you will have to push a little harder to get everything in place. If it is not working properly you can ruin the mechanism by pushing to hard. Be careful!

You might try pulling on the buttons and then pushing. This is meant to preset a station.

This is what is looks like inside http://www.si.hhs.nl/~rob/images/scanned/455d_ass_radio.jpg
As a reference : you can see the springs of the push buttons below.

Hope this helps.

Rob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is what I did. From the Speaker terminal, I ran a wire to one side of each speaker wire. From the "ground" terminal I ran a wire to each other side of the speaker wire. Then ran 2 speaker wires to speakers in back. It seems to be working fine. What do you think? Dave

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here is what I did. From the Speaker terminal, I ran a wire to one side of each speaker wire. From the "ground" terminal I ran a wire to each other side of the speaker wire. Then ran 2 speaker wires to speakers in back. It seems to be working fine. What do you think? Dave

If you are running two 4 ohm mini speakers, you will need to rewire them in series to get 8 ohms of impedance. The radio requires 10 but will work ok on 8. The way you have them connected now, sounds like you have them in parallel for a total of 2 ohms. If this is what you have done, the output transistor won't last.

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts