Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a 4 speed console on a car that didn't have one originally? I bought one on ebay and there is not enough width for my shifter throw.

J

·
0 Posts
I have a 69 that was auto on the column an is now 4spd. I too am trying to install the console. I have a hurst shifter an it looks like the shifter base and hole extend beyond the console side but it will still fit ok. I may weld a piece of metal over this area instead of buying the tunnel. The shifter is ok as long as I position it so I can shift to reverse and 4th. That doesn't look like a problem.

·
Registered
255 Posts
One other thing to check is the shape of the drive shaft tunnel. My car was originally a 4 speed car with a bench seat. It was converted to a bucket seat interior. There are three fastening points on the console. The center support is too low and doesn’t allow the two end supports to rest on the tunnel. Kind of like a teeter totter.

Bubba

------------------
ACES member #04788
Maryland Chevelle Club member #075
Maryland Automotive Modelers Association
Have you ever noticed that those instruments designed to detect intelligent life in the universe are all pointed AWAY from Earth???
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/Bubbas396.jpg

J

·
0 Posts
My car was also a bench seat car and now has buckets. I purchased the front and rear console mounting brackets from Year-One but if I use them it looks like the console will be sitting too high above the carpet (even if I install them directly on the floor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is also the correct shifter for a 4spd car that has a L shape to it to put the shifter in line with the tunnel. You can order a Comp.Plus shifter for a console car and it should be correct..

------------------
Jeff
Georgia
69SS Nov'99 Feature Car
67 Elky L-79 4spd

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 69SSGA:
There is also the correct shifter for a 4spd car that has a L shape to it to put the shifter in line with the tunnel. You can order a Comp.Plus shifter for a console car and it should be correct..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this a shifter made specifically for a 4 speed console? Where would I get one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts