Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68/69 not the same!

I have always thought that for the most part the 1968 and 1969 elcamino and for that matter the chevelle were the same. less some body changes. I have a 1969 elcamino.
today I was picking up a special ordered horn relay and they had a blinker switch in stock, so that too. I went to put them in and, no go.
the horn relay was totally different and the blinker switch was the same but the electrical connector wouldn't fit. I brought them back only to find that they were for a 69, but i needed one's for a 68. witch was strange because mine IS a 69 (must have been built in january of 69 or something) my question to those out there that already know this is:
would it be in my best interest knowing that the electrical is from a 68 to order all parts for this elcamino as if it was a 68 or is the electrical the only thing changed from one year to the next?

·
Registered
920 Posts
It's possible the column was switched out. Is your key on the column or dash? Also possible the harness has been hacked too. Could also be the difference in a 4 speed vs. automatic column.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The turn signal switch is different between a 68 and 69. The 69 shares the same one as the later years. 69 was one of those transition years both electrically and mechanically. Best consult a catalog before buying electrical stuff. A lot of places won't let you return it. Besides the sponsor, Ground Up, I tend to look here as an on-line reference. www.true-connections.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This car has seen some modifications throughout its life and that was my first thought too. there used to be a shift on the column but it looks like same rat that chewed it off also chewed the hole in the floor for the stick shift. my guess is its the same column that came with the car because it still has the three speed trans in it. the catch is that the blinker switch and the horn relay which are not connected are by the book 68. the wiring to those switches does not seem to be compromised in any way. by looking at the hack job to the column if there was any changes made else ware there would be tell tail sighs of those and there aint. the on line reference wouldn't have saved my butt either because there are no pictures of those switches to compare so i would have ordered parts for a 69 and got wrong stuff from there also. but they do have LOTS of goodies there so thanks for that site John.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts