Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are all the differences and similarities between a 68 and 69 SS models, or where could I find that info. Also, how interchangeable are 68 plain-jane and SS interiors and exteriors. (aside from the 4 doors!! duh)

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Differences:
1)68 was last year for vent windows on the coupes and convertables
2)tailights
3)front and rear bumpers
4)grills
5)front side marker location
6)69 has rear side markers because of different taillights
7)different eyebrow moulding
8)Although hood look the same, hinge mounting holes are different
9)68 has square opening in dash bezel; 69 are round
10)68 has dash mounted igniton switch
11) different interior patterns
12) rear quarter panels
Similarities:
1)rear arm rests
2)trunk lid if you dont count the emblems
3)glass, except for doors(vent/no vent)
4)header panel if you dont count the emblems.
5) dash pad

I'msure there are more diff/similars, those are just ones off the top of my head...68 and 69 are alot more different that most may think.
I think the Concours and post cars have different interiors, but Malibu and SS are the same except for emblems.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Gene-
Maybe I just cant remember, but didnt the vent windows end in 67? At least in Camaros they did. Thats how I tell 67 and 68 camaros apart.

Just double checked your homepage, i guess it was just the camaros. I can just tell the 68's apart from 100 feet never did look at the vent windows.

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
www.angelfire.com/ca4/chevelle/
Team Chevelle Member #71

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 11-08-99).]

·
Registered
95 Posts
There are a few other differences too:
Headliner, Hood latch, Headlight benzels(black for 69), Bucket seats, Steering wheels and columns, Windsheld posts, door opening vents on 69, front fenders have different locations for side markers, rear deck chrome moldings, the arm rests for 68 have a chrome strip in them and 69 doesn't, The rear arm rest ashtrays for 68 have ribs in them and 69 doesn't. Wiring harnesses are different, The door panels are different for the doors, but the rear panels will fit either(just depends on the design--69 has a different pattern than 68)and I think thats it for the differences.
The similarites: there is a lot that will fit either. The interior you take one and make fit in the other.

·
Registered
934 Posts
This could make a hell of a trivia quiz. Here's a few I thought of.

1) 68 buckets had no headrests (low backs) and 69's had head rests (hi backs)

2) Inside door lock location moved (because of the headrest change) 68 lock was far back and 69's were moved forward.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
172 Posts
vent windows came on 64 thru 68, right. But, I thought I read somewhere that vent windows could be special ordered on 69s?? Anyone know about this for sure?

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
The sedans and 4 doors had vents for 69, I've never seen a 2 door coupe with them though.

Another obsure difference: the inside door handle mechanism stem (that the inside door handle attaches to) is shorter on the 69 because it does not have the same long armrest backing plate that the 68 has. Give you three guess how I found that out.

[This message has been edited by Gene McGill (edited 11-18-99).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had read that the roof line on hardtops for 69 was shaved down by an inch or so to give the car a lower look but I never really compared two side by side.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Someone above may have mentioned it and I just missed it. Strange, but the big difference to me was always that the 68 was the last year for the ignition in the dash. The 69 moved to the column.
To this day I hate to go round up a key just to move a car with a locking column.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.