Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about 68 & 69 bucket seats, I have a 69 SS, but the seats have no head rests. It depends on who you ask as to wether the 69 came with & without head rests on the seats. Most reply that I have 68 seats in my car. Does anyone know the answer?
Dale

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Dale,
I have a 69 SS El Camino with buckets, They have head rests.
I have another 69 SS El Camino with a bench seat and it has head rests.
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I know that with a bench seat in 1969 you could have ordered the car without headrests (headrest delete). Not sure about bucket seats

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
68 bucket seats are a one year only design, plastic backs and bottoms with the release on the side. Headrests were an option on 68 seats and also were a one year only design. The 69 seats are the same as those used through 72. Can’t say for sure but I think headrests were standard on 69 – 72 buckets.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
I'm not positive about this, but it seems to me I have read that the headrests became mandatory on 1/1/69. Cars built before that date could have come without them, but were available to be ordered. Perhaps that's why Chris' window sticker shows them separately from the bucket seats. Chris, what date was your car built?

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
I believe that Bill has it right. The laws requiring headrests kicked in 1/1/69. Chevelles could have had optional headrests as far back as 1966. My 1966 SD396 Beaumont had them.

·
Registered
707 Posts
headrests, reflectors on bicycles, no more cool stringray bike shifters, seatbelts, and the 55 mph speed limit...thanks for spoiling the fun R. Nader...
my books show pre68 with no headrest...post68 with headrests....and I am not positive about this cause I haven't looked at any 68 cores in several months but the headrest anchor probably will bolt into the earlier frames I bet and thus would allow for an optional headrest...and you could take them out of post68 seats if you wanted...then you would have no headrests on the later seats...

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I'm not positive about this, but it seems to me I have read that the headrests became mandatory on 1/1/69. Cars built before that date could have come without them, but were available to be ordered. Perhaps that's why Chris' window sticker shows them separately from the bucket seats. Chris, what date was your car built?
Car was built 1st week of Nov. 68.

Good to know that, thanks!

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
The 69-72 headrests and associated mounting hardware will fit the 68 seat with slight modification of the seat frame. A good source for the headrests and mounting is the strato bench seat found in some 69 - 72 Buick, Pontiac and Olds. They use the same seat upright as the strato bucket.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Ok... I'm going to ask my question in here....

I really should have headrests in my Chevelle (g-d forbid someone rear end me) I have 6 herniated disks in my neck (supposed to be wearing a collar when I drive) (not happening....)

What are my options on a 68???

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Allan, I saw in GU's latest catalog, pages 62 & 63, Bucket seat headrests for '66-'68 part #I J 3780 and the mounting brackets I J 6 BKT. That might work for you.
BillL

·
Registered
94 Posts
You stated that the headrest were the same between 69-72,I thought the 69 -70 headrest had 2 round post and the 71-72 headrest had a single rectagular post.What had the 2 round post,seat release in the middle?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
4b316 (name?) all 69-72 bucket seats use headrests with two round post mounting. The single rectangle post headrests are for bench seats.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all for the input on this subject, I think I will stick w/ the 68 seats. I found out that it was a dealer swap for a bench seat. Some one was saving a little money in 1969 :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts