Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, i know when i see a 68-69, and a 71-72 el camino or chevelle (just about everyone can ID a 1970 model) but just how do you tell the diff. between a 68 or 69 and a 71 or 72? i suppose it would be easy if you owned one or the other but for me, i just cant seem to do it
having owned only a 70 camino, im pretty much stumped when someone asks me "what year was that?" i feel kinda stupid

there must be some distinguishing marks

mike reeh

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
Mike,
One of the easiest ways to tell a 71 from a 72 is the front side marker lamps / turn signals. The 71 has a side marker that is "divided" in two by part of the bezel. The 72 has a one piece side marker lamp.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also via the grill for the 71/72. The 71 has a chrome frame around it and center horizontal bar, while the 72 grill has 3 distinctive horizontal chrome (plated plastic) bars. Compare the two, and it is real obvious even at a bit of a distance. And don't fee stupid. We all know our own car's highlights. I have a devil of a time with any Chevelle earlier than a 70

[This message has been edited by Gator (edited 02-21-99).]

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
Same for me on 71-72. 71 has a divided front park light lens, 72 has 1 piece park lens.
For 68-69, I regard them just like 66-67 Chevy II. The 68 has an all mesh or egg crate grill and the 69 had a division bar all the way across the grill. I have to tell all wagons and ECs from the front because 68-72 have same rear.

------------------

·
Registered
183 Posts
MIKE, 68 chevelle had different tail lights,were only as high as panel that was under trunk,there was a crome strip that ran from front bumper to rear bumper that was above rocker panel,front grill was mesh with no bar running across the middle, no ss emblem on side of front fenders near the doors,hope this helps a little. BILL

------------------

·
Registered
337 Posts
Identifying chevelles is easy you just have to notice the details.If you notice the chevelles from 64-72, every two years are basicly the same, with a few minor modifcations. 64-65 models are vitualy the same , the easiest way to tell them apart is the grilles The front of a 64 is kind of oval shaped, a hoizontal moulding across the top & bottom of the grille and a c- shaped moulding around each left & right headlights.
The 65 has kind of a split grille with a wide moulding in the center with th cherolet bowtie in the center. On an SS the upper & lower sections were blacked out.
The 66-67 models, the easyest way to decribe them is by the tail lights. The 66 has hrizontal rectangular tail lights with backup lights mounted in the rear body panel.
The 67 has the tail lamps mounted in the quarter extensions, with backup lamps mounted in the bumper each side of the license plate. Then come the 68-69 models.They are virtualy the same except the grille & tail lamps. The 68 grille has a center moulding,that is not exactly in the center, but more closer to the top of the grille. The 69 has a horizontal center moulding in the middle of the grille.then came the 70-72 models, we all know what the 70 looks like, the split grille style ,the last year for thr 4 head lamp system & the first year for the cowl induction hood.
And square tail lamps in the bumper.
71-72 are pretty much the same everywhere
other than the grilles, parking lamps & headlight bezels.
on 71's the grille has 3 horizontal mouldings,upper center & lower joined together by a verticle moulding at each side of the grille. It kind of resembles a 70 grille, but not exacly. On a regular malibu it was painted silver and blacked out on an SS. The parking lights are mounted on the outside of each headlamp. They are also a split design to match the grille.
On the 72 the grille on a regular malibu has 4 horizontal mouldings attatched to it, upper , 2 centers, and a lower.
The SS only has an upper and lower with a blacked out center of the grille. The parking lights were in the same place as a 71
but a solid square insteadof the split style,and they came in either amber or clear, depending weather you had first design or second design. Amber was first & clear was second
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Identifying chevelles is easy you just have to notice the details.If you notice the chevelles from 64-72, every two years are basicly the same, with a few minor modifcations. 64-65 models are vitualy the same , the easiest way to tell them apart is the grilles The front of a 64 is kind of oval shaped, a hoizontal moulding across the top & bottom of the grille and a c- shaped moulding around each left & right headlights.
The 65 has kind of a split grille with a wide moulding in the center with th cherolet bowtie in the center. On an SS the upper & lower sections were blacked out.
The 66-67 models, the easyest way to decribe them is by the tail lights. The 66 has hrizontal rectangular tail lights with backup lights mounted in the rear body panel.
The 67 has the tail lamps mounted in the quarter extensions, with backup lamps mounted in the bumper each side of the license plate. Then come the 68-69 models.They are virtualy the same except the grille & tail lamps. The 68 grille has a center moulding,that is not exactly in the center, but more closer to the top of the grille. The 69 has a horizontal center moulding in the middle of the grille.then came the 70-72 models, we all know what the 70 looks like, the split grille style ,the last year for thr 4 head lamp system & the first year for the cowl induction hood.
And square tail lamps in the bumper.
71-72 are pretty much the same everywhere
other than the grilles, parking lamps & headlight bezels.
on 71's the grille has 3 horizontal mouldings,upper center & lower joined together by a verticle moulding at each side of the grille. It kind of resembles a 70 grille, but not exacly. On a regular malibu it was painted silver and blacked out on an SS. The parking lights are mounted on the outside of each headlamp. They are also a split design to match the grille.
On the 72 the grille on a regular malibu has 4 horizontal mouldings attatched to it, upper , 2 centers, and a lower.
The SS only has an upper and lower with a blacked out center of the grille. The parking lights were in the same place as a 71
but a solid square insteadof the split style,and they came in either amber or clear, depending weather you had first design or second design. Amber was first & clear was second
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
more 68-69 easy-to-spot differences:
68 taillights "wrapped" around, so rear side markers were not needed. 69's taillights do not wrap around, so there are rear side markers.
68 front turn signals are in the bumper, under the headlights, while the 69's are mounted in the bumper openings, more toward the center of the car.
Inside, the 68 has square instrument panel openings with a dash mounted ignition switch, while the 69 has round openings with ignition on the steering column.
A harder-to-notice difference: The eyebrow molding (hockey stick) on a 68 goes as high as the top of the grill, while a 69's goes as high as the lower edge of the header panel, making it longer than a 68's.
I have seen alot of 68/9's with the wrong front clip, so I usually look at the rear bumper\tailight first.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
mild68ss: Not all 68's had backup light in the bumper. The 68 300 2-door post had the backup light in the tail light. Which makes tail light lenses and bumpers for these cars hard to find.
Check out the pics in index to years at this site, they will give a good idea of differences in the fronts of each year. Also check out the pics in the feature car area, all years are represented.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

[This message has been edited by Steve S (edited 02-22-99).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.