Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my new brake and fuel lines from Inline Tube and everything fit great except for the fuel line.According to the factory assemby manual, it looks like it should be ran through the front of the frame.This is a prebent solid 3/8 line that runs from the front to the back and I see no way that I could possibly worm it through.Am I missing something here or what? Thanks

·
Registered
714 Posts
Brian,

Unfortunately my 67SS is still in storage 50 mile away but my recollection is that it does travel its way to the front of the car through the frame on the passenger side. I am sure there are others on this board that might be able to give you pointers on the installation portion of your question. I think I may have wondered once or twice myself when I was under the car and saw that how I would replace should the need arise

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I ended up cutting mine right where it meets the rear end. The only other ways are to remove the rear end or separate the body from the frame.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Brian,
I know I'm not gonna be much help here but...I replaced the fuel line in my '67 EC. The body was off the frame and yes, the line does snake it's way up, over and thru the frame. Exits near the fuel pump.

------------------
Bill Burke
TC#613
ACES#3920
'67 El Camino-almost completed!
'91 Camaro RS-loves fried rice!
67 El Rat-original
67 El Rat-So far

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How forgiving is this material,do you think I could straighten out some portions and bend it back with no problems.I should also add that towards the front of the line there is a protective wrap around the line.I wander if this is for heat?If so ,maybe the line is designed to run along the inside of the rail ,rather than going through it.What do you guys think?I called the company and all they said was that they wish they were there to help me install it.I can't be the only one who has had this problem with prebent fuel lines. Thanks

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Brian. I am working on a 66, no SS. These pictures show where my fuel line enters http://www.si.hhs.nl/~rob/images/scanned/188_ass_fl_ln_fr.jpg (the rubber hose is an add on of my own) and leaves http://www.si.hhs.nl/~rob/images/scanned/038_eng_lift3.jpg (right above the left cloth) the chassis. I had the body off when I replaced my line. The protective spring like wrap is meant to keep it from rubbing against the frame (in the middle, right under the spring pocket and where it leaves the frame).
The rear end goes over the chassis http://www.si.hhs.nl/~rob/images/scanned/187_ass_fl_ln_rr.jpg
I expect (but have not done this myself) that bending the middle section (after you have put the rear in place) might give enough room to get the front section through the frame.
My prebent brake line came folded together and I had to straighten it again. So I guess the material is pretty forgiving.

------------------
www.si.hhs.nl/~rob

·
Registered
86 Posts
I tried to install a 3/8"steel line with my '66 on jackstands.Just about had it in when I collapsed the rear portion.Pulled it out and got another.Then I couldn't get the front part thru the frame(collapsed also).They cost too much for a third try.So I ran an aluminum line(wrapped in double thick wiring conduit to ward off chafing or stone damage).I carry an extra roll of tubing just in case.If your car is pure resto,try the steel line(frame off advised),if its' for a daily driver or strip use,then take the easier way out-aluminum.

------------------
66 malibu 427,69 c-10 350,65 chevy-II 327,etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the feedback.This weekend I think I'll take another stab at it.Rusty66,those pictures are worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I did my '67's line with the body off.
It does go through the frame and exit out near where the furl pump would be. Even with the body off, I had a hard time snaking it in there without bending the line any, or scratching the paint on my frame.
You need a lot of room to maneuver. My only suggestion, other than frame off, would be to bring the car to a shop that has a hydraulic lift. (Hopefully you know a buddy that owns one and will let you use one of his bays for a while.)
Get the car high enough in the air, and you can angle it in there a lot easier.

------------------
Mark
Member #605
Better to BURN OUT, then to fade away

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I've done it on two 67's. One on the frame and one off. With the body off, it goes right in with a little twisting and bending. With the body on, you don't have the room to twist the line in, and you'd have to bend it into a pretzel to get it in.

What I did was to cut the line in half, about midway under the car. Then I installed the front and rear halfs separately and joined them along the frame rail with an inline fuel filter.

------------------
Rob Mirabile TC #1079, ACES #4387
"If You Don't Drive It-Sell It"

The Ride
The Crew
Showing Off
The Lemans

67 Malibu Conv (always under construction)
64 Lemans Conv, Building for my brother-in-law

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.