Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 67 malibu's is there a difference in the engine compartment wiring harness for car with an amp gauge vs. car's with the warning light's? My car came with an amp gauge but the engine compartment wiring harness is very bad shape and I want to replace it. I have access to some car's that have the warning light's in them.
Thanks in advance.
Roger

·
Registered
902 Posts
I cannot answer with definity. But on the 64's there is a difference. I would suspect that there is a difference on the 67's also. On the 64's there is a shunt and wiring to the ammeter that is not on the idiot light cars. The shunt and wiring replace a wire that goes right to the alternator. Look at the 64 Chevelle right diagram in the link and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.tocmp.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring%20diagrams/chevroletindex.htm

Link courtesy of John Muha.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I could be off a little more than usual because the coffee isn't finished yet.
Believe 64 was the last Chevelle year that used a true shunt resistor. After that, until 72, the wire length between the block behind the battery to the horn relay provided the shunt.
What's missing, under the hood, is the 2 fusible links wires that run down the lamp harness to those points.
You can get the original ammeter converted to a true voltmeter. Saves running those wires, works a lot better, and safer than dragging two hot leads inside the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts