Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've read all the entries in the tire database, and I just wanted to run the numbers by the experts before I bought expensive paperweights.

I have a 67 300 deluxe 2 door sedan. I am putting together the chassis around a 67 convertible frame with Global west upper and lower rear control arms (which should tighten up side to side movement) and a Moser rear end with willwood disc/drum parking brake set up that is supposed to be stock sized.
The distance between the outside of the axle flanges (where the hats contact) is 59 7/8" and the hats are 3/16" thick for a total width where the wheels contact of 60 1/4" . Since the body is not on the frame at the moment I can't really check the Back spacing. From what I've read it seems like I can get 17 x 10" wheels (I'm going with Stockton custom steel wheels) with 5.75" or 6" BS. I'm having the body guy remove the lip from the outside of the wheel well for what that's worth.

Just in case, what's the best way to move the lower shock mount inboard and what effect does this have on geometry?

Thanks, Reed
Edit/Delete Message

·
Premium Member
15,332 Posts
Reed,

You might want to keep an eye on this thread to see what folks are using if you don't much response.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162169

On the shocks deal, I doubt you would see much problem with interference because if you use 17 inch wheels the mounts should stay clear of the wheel easily. Good Luck :)

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thread link. It seems like nearly everybody runs 8" wide wheels instead of 10's. Seems like if it were easy more people would use 10's or at least 9.5". I'm afraid the back spacing becomes really critical when you push it. I'm putting a 540 with Afr heads in, and I'm going to need all the tire I can get.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Don't know if it helps, but I'm running 17x9.5 with 5.25" backspace in the rear of my '66. Stock 12 bolt with 12" rotors with the parking brake built into the rear caliper(ford versillies?) Brakes are from CPP. That rear b.s. puts the tire exactly center in the wheel well on my car. I would think 5.5" would do the same on a 17x10" wheel, though by looking at mine 5.75 b.s. might work also.

·
Premium Member
5,660 Posts
Thanks for the thread link. It seems like nearly everybody runs 8" wide wheels instead of 10's. Seems like if it were easy more people would use 10's or at least 9.5". I'm afraid the back spacing becomes really critical when you push it. I'm putting a 540 with Afr heads in, and I'm going to need all the tire I can get.
People underestimate all the time what will really fit.

·
Premium Member
5,660 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to take a shot at a 17x10" wheel with 5 1/2" back spacing. Speak now or forever hold your peace, I guess. I'm hoping to get a 295 or larger tire under there, with the car lowered 2".
Reed
Go with 5.75" backspace to give yourself some extra working margin.
I doubt anything wider than a 285/40/17 tire will fit. The next size available is a 315/35/17.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts