Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seen some of randys spoilers, 1969 Camaro spoilers-

Was thinking of a simple piece that hung down from the core support like some S10s and 3rf gen camaros had and hopefully direct air up into the radiator?
More concerned with function than looks

Anyone seal off the area from the core support to the sheetmetal in front of it? Or should it be there for higher speed bypass??

Suggestions?
:D

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
a good radiator, a fan shroud, and five blade clutch fan is all you should need

Reactions: hydro462

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
De Wtits rad
16" spal fan which I am not sure is adequate
Milodon 160 stat, high flow pump. Thinking my coolant may be moving too fast, looks like rapids when I take the cap off. Radiator hoses get hard as cement not sure why. Hope its just a thermostat issue and not a cracked head or block

Would like to put my plastic mech fan back on & use the spal as a secondary just in case..kind of bulletproof things

Would the SS grille make a noticeable difference?

How would one set up a speed sensor so around 35-40 the fan shuts off like some newer cars.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A good radiator and upgraded fans for sure. As for your idea’s I got this from undercover innovations and they make one for a 67

Also got this from spoiler’s by Randy.

Don’t know how much they’ll help with cooling but they look dam good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
828 Posts
hi
either the largest optional heavy duty clutch and fan and shroud [there is a standard smaller version]
OR
largest twin fans with cfm that exceeds the single 16inch

Depending on size of radiator core and clearances use any where from 11 , 12 ,13 ,14 inch
Cooling issues use 2x SPal 20+ amp units
It is always better to attach fans to a shroud ,which then bolts to radiator frame

Fan mounting
Personally I have a alloy 2x 1.25 core
I use 2 x 14 inch fans ,,core is 15 inch high
My fans are wider than the core by 3/4 inch on each side
IMPORTANT ,,, the fans occupy majority of fan shroud therefore not blocking any high speed air flow
If u use small fans u need rubber flaps

Down flow or cross flow radiator
Either the largest factory radiator
OR
Twin 1.25 tube high performance aluminium radiator

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
This plate will remove a lot of fresh air running over the engine and then under the car to cool the transmission and the interior cab.
Put a 14 x 4 open element air cleaner and let the fresh air blow over the engine and out under the car.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So youre saying those plates have a downside?

Like the idea of those heat extractor hoods like the newer ZR-1s have? air rushing over the hood draws hot air from the cooling fans out of the engine compartment. Would be fun to get a glass hood and experiment.

Made an aluminum shroud for the spal yrs ago and put a handful or rubber vents in.
It would cool at lghts and heat up at speed...eventually saw my lower hose was collapsing and causing this while timing the car. So dont know if the shroud helped or not.

If I knew more about wiring Id look into one of those brushless fan systems they are "smart".
Noticed on my C4s...over 35 the computer shuts the fans off, not needed. Works off a vehicle speed sensor(VSS)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
This plate forces more air through the radiator rather than over the top to better cool it. I've seen no downsides to running this plate on my LS equipped 70 EC and it also cleans up the look of the engine compartment.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok..thought so. Think my rad. is mounted too close to the support..may space it out a hair and seal it up with some kind of ac weatherstrip/black foam youd find at Lowes. Im sure as pressure builds up it will choose that escape route before it goes through the restrictive fins. Every bit helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts