Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory "knee knocker " sicks at 3000rpm,and stays there untill you flick the
face plate. Any ideas on how to fix this ?.
also I recieved an old "Sun " tach with no directions. Any clue as how to wire it. ??
thxs for your help. Charlie

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Belive the Sun tach wiring is:
Red: Switched 12 volts
Black: Ground
Green: Tach Lead
White: Dash Light
Not sure why your other tach is sticking. Hard for me to recommend something besides a repair shop. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

·
Premium Member
19,928 Posts
I thought the 66's had the knee knocker tachs (bottom right of dash) while the 67's had them on the top instrument panel on the left side.

------------------
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
GR8PMKN

Dale's Place Team 67
Midwest Chevelle Regional Governing Council
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dale , you are correct, my 67 has the small
faced tach mounted in the upper left corner, I thought it was the same as they used in 66
with a new location, thus keeping the name.
John, no luck with the "Sun Tach " working,
I ran the hot directly to the positive side
of the battery, just to make I had power and still no luck !!Someone told me some of the
old ones needed a sending unit of some sorts.
sound correct ???thxs for your help

[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
One reason for a tach needle to stick is debree in the movement. Inside the tach is a large magnet that attracts anything metallic. If you feel comfortable dissembling the tach you may be able to move the needle by hand and see where it is binding. Be careful the needle movement is very delicate and can easily be damaged. Do not use compressed air to dislodge the debree. Use tweezers or other delicate tools.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts