Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.savethecars.com/1967_Chevelle_396.html

Consider this both a What's it Worth Post and a Learning Tool aka edumacation post....

I am not going to comment but will welcome comments as to what it's worth.. remembering it is a Project car.. what ya see is what ya get... Not a car I know or one I am selling.. but one that was emailed to me.

So, lets see what you all think of this car.. what do you see what don't you see... what is it worth?.. Not what you would pay... what is it worth? that is always something I think many here make the mistake in giving out a true what's it worth number.. not what you would pay.. .heck.. you may be broke and in the unemployemnt line ;)

· Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I'm no expert on 67's but it appears as though almost every emblem is not in it's correct spot, that scares me quite a bit, the seats don't look right are they recovered or out of a different model GM or different year? malibu dash strip. It has the 13817 but..........
I don't know what it's worth. What a TURD. It looks like a parts car to me.

· Registered
855 Posts
They must not have been too good at measuring up there in Framingham, those quarter panel emblems are way out of whack. Ahh, the 'ol wood grain dash strip is present. Very late car, he doesn't say but I'd bet the block is a 323 casting. Looks like a good one to work with. I'd go with the 10k estimate. A few years ago I'd say it would be another story.

· Premium Member
555 Posts
6-8k, maybe less after inspection.

Jerry
X2... The rust holes get bigger the more you mess with them. What bothers me more is what I can't see. The color (white) hides alot.

· Registered
103 Posts
Forgive me if this has been answered before but were 67 Super Sports ever produced with the woodgrain dash insert??
I see this a lot on "real SS" cars. This car has a 138 VIN tag with what looks to be original fasteners but yet it wears the woodgrain dash insert. Seems to me that if you have a real SS and as much work as it is to change that piece why so many seemingly real SS have that woodgrain dash insert installed instead of the black.

· Registered
855 Posts
Forgive me if this has been answered before but were 67 Super Sports ever produced with the woodgrain dash insert??
The official answer is NO, but there are a lot of opinions.

· Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I'd think the odometer had to roll at least once for it to be in that rough a shape and to need to have the seats recovered 20+ years ago. You can see the welt strips (in the front seat) and the horizontal stitch pattern (in the back seat) of the original seat covers underneath the current material. So looks like it was reupholstered as opposed to being transplanted seats.

The #'s all look good. But the quarter emblem being out of whack, one 396 flag being askew, plus the Malibu grille, plus the Malibu woodgrain strip, plus the right-hand VIN tag rivet looking a little tweaked, all would make me be very careful -- check for the 138 stamps in the quarters and check the frame vin stamp! And check to see if that passenger quarter is an ancient replacement or is full of mud.

Interesting things I see are the factory chrome bench-seat shifter bezel, correct PS pump and pressure hose, no bolt in the front-center of the oil pan (correct for 67), and the black painted (not plated) water pump pulley and crank pulleys, correct for 65-67 assembly line installed pulleys. (Later years and NOS replacements are the ones that were plated.)

With all that said, I'd go along with a $10K estimate, or a little less with the rusty roof.

· Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I see this a lot on "real SS" cars. This car has a 138 VIN tag with what looks to be original fasteners but yet it wears the woodgrain dash insert. Seems to me that if you have a real SS and as much work as it is to change that piece why so many seemingly real SS have that woodgrain dash insert installed instead of the black.
Way back in the 70's and early 80's before you could buy the repop SS dash strip and before there were lots of plastic rechromers out there, lots of folks transplanted woodgrain from wrecked Malibus into SS cars, because the chrome on a woodgrain piece is anodized aluminum and stays shiny instead of turning white like the plastic SS strips do.

When I was 16 I put one in my 66 SS. Unfortunately I only learned AFTER tearing my dash apart that the wiper switch hole is in a different location on a 67 dash versus a 66 dash. But rather than put the old strip back on, I just drilled a new hole in the dash for my wiper switch to match the hole in the wood grain piece! I was real proud of myself then, today I'd kick my own butt for doing that to a nice original dash!!

· Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Ahh, what the hell Mike, just buy the thing!!! Just get another jacket, it'll be done before you know it!!!;)
That's what I was thinking too. He must be Really Bored to come up with threads like this one. He needs a good project to keep his mind...and hands...occupied. :D

· Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what I was thinking too. He must be Really Bored to come up with threads like this one. He needs a good project to keep his mind...and hands...occupied. :D
You could ship that Tan 66 up to me and let me get it finished up real nice for ya :p

· Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Wow, Thanks! :hurray:

How about this... Since the Tan car will only keep you busy for less than a day or so :p, and since this is really all about keeping you busy...I'll throw the Black car in the trailer too. That should keep you occupied all winter. :D

· Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Love the 4 spd with bench seat combo. If you farm it out it at approximately $75.00 an hour plus materials you might be talking an end product of over 40K. This does not count as an AACA final product. At the end the buyer has to make a decission if buying one already done is a better investment. When you get into date correct parts, restorations can get extremely expensive. A correct date coded carb in show conditions for a 70SS 396 is running $1,500.00. Ask me how I know.:yes:
5-6K as it sits. Just my .02.

· Registered
450 Posts
"-- check for the 138 stamps in the quarters "

It has been proven that the 138 stamps in the upper 1/4 panel near the trunk seal are assembly codes and are not specific to SS models.

The con VIN is stamped into the top of the left rear frame rail, and is a good way to check if it"s a real SS frame if you can find it.
The vin plate looks like someone took a screwdriver or something to it, makes you think.
I dont think the car is worth more than 5K without a personal inspection.
It may be better, or worse, but from the pictures provided looks like it needs floors, trunk pan, fenders, ect. Thats lots of $$$ to repair.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.