Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were the black and white body stripes an option and did certain body colors have just the black stripe or white stripe?
For example-Marina blue-what color stripe?
Red? Nantucket Blue-What stripe?
Thanx again for such a super site!!!!

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
My 67SS is Marina Blue from the factory & has white SS stripes on it (at least it did until last month when it went to bare metal). I can't speak for options, what models & trim packages did & did not have them what color, etc. You might perform a search on this & the "Body Shop" areas using "SS Stripes" or "Stripes", etc. Good Luck...ODIE.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You have to remember that back then you could order just about anything you wanted, even if it didn't look good. You could not order white body color with white stripe or black with black, obviously. Other than that you could order any color stripe you wanted.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
1967 SS396 with stripes? Never seen one that was not a owner add on. What kind of stripes, down the side or the car or the top?

I don't agree with the idea that you could get anything you wanted. Some options and colors combination were not compatible. I know its a common belief today but they did not have the capacity to build it your way, they built it thier way. Yes there were COPO's but event then you were limited to the options they wanted to provide.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 03-25-2001).]

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
There were four stripe color options and two different styles. Black, blue, red, white. Mostly depended on the outside color and what you had for interior. My white w/red interior SS has dark red stripes

·
Registered
714 Posts
elcamino,

There is a guy around my neck of the woods that has a white 67 SS that he bought new and has the black stripes (not around wheel well...10 piece version) from the factory. Unfortunately he rarely drives the car so I have seen it only once in 3 years.

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Registered
93 Posts
According to the 1967 Chevrolet Price & Facts book from October 1966, a standard feature of the SS 396 series was 'color-keyed body side accent stripes'. There is a side view of the car which shows the striping. Listed under factory-installed optional equipment is code D96 which is described as 'Stripes, Special Body Accent - Replace the standard stripes on SS 396 models'. These stripes are wider and continue over the wheel openings. Nowhere are the colors of the stripes listed.

·
Premium Member
16,948 Posts
The small stripes are 1.8", 3/8" stripes and a 1" total width. The other option was much bigger, like 1.125", 5.8" with a 2.5" width. Am am not certain about the bigger stripe, but am about the smaller one since I plan to add one this year.

I'll prolly cheat and use a 3M stripe kit with the two lines already on and then see how it looks before I remove the top protective layer and press them down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.