Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be a really keen idea to disassemble my instrument cluster and clean it up. A bunch of stuff was apparently not securely bolted/screwed/attached so some things fell out which I have no complete idea where they go or how they attach; like the little green plastic tunnels. They look like their purpose is to direct light, but...who knows. Anyone out there have guide (for dummies like me) on how to reassemble this engineering marvel. Also, wondering how to test the speedo. The old drill on the end of the cable trick turns the odometer, but speedo moves nary a micron. Actually, what I should be looking for is someone that restores instrument panels - I can ship them what I have and maybe they can return a functional unit. I have no idea if the fuel, temp, volt, or oil gauges are working either. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Captain!

If you give the back of the speedometer a quick spin with your fingers you should see your needle jump up to 15 or 20 mph if it's functioning properly. I just restored my 67SS gauge cluster, if you like I can e-mail you some pic's of it during assembly. It will show you where everything goes. I also have a couple floorshift speedometer clusters w/clocks that are fully restored to like new condition if your interested. Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. A little experimentation and you were right. The tunnel bottoms looked like they were supposed to be screwed into something but they cover indicator bulbs (signals, brake, brights) and sort of snap onto small bosses. Mike, I'll email you about the pics - would love to have 'em. I think my speedo is okay but needs to be cleaned up 9only got about 10 mph with a spin - felt kinda gunky in there).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts