Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly making my way through my new wiring harness. It's time to connect the gauges up. The harness instructions have me running one wire jumping to all the gauges and then the "sending" wire connects to the remaining post on each gauge. Can anyone tell me how to differentiate/determine the right post (only two on each gauge) connections for the fuel, volt, and temp gauges? The oil pressure gauge is still the good old copper line type - although I'm praying my new engine doesn't have oil pressure so high that it leaks or blows the line off. Thanks, Capt. E

·
Premium Member
19,928 Posts
I don't know if it'll help much but I have a few wiring diagrams here for 67 Chevelles. It looks like the purple wire is the "common" wire for the fuel sender, temp indicator, oil light (n/a in this case) and one other connection I can't decipher (Brk. Alarm Ind. Lp.?). Check how the connector goes on the gauge and since it'll only fit one way, that'll show which is common.

------------------
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
GR8PMKN

Dale's Place Team 67
Midwest Chevelle Regional Governing Council
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I'm guessing you're not using a direct replacement harness and that you're wiring in a factory gauge cluster. If so the fuel gauge and water temp gauge get power applied to the top terminal. The factory cluster has an amp gauge, it doesn't get the common power connected to it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on the money, Elree. The original harness was so corroded and chopped up that I decided to tear the entire thing out and redo it. Factory harness connections were 3X the cost of a 12 circuit fuse block.

It sounds like what I was calling the voltmeter is actually an ammeter - correct? If so, I have a whole different wiring path to follow on installation then. That particular gauge is the only one with different colored spade terms - one brass, one silver.

Thanks,

Mike H.

·
Registered
903 Posts
My SS harness from NPD didn't have any instructions. Dale, should I use the schematics on your site to help me piece it all together? I can't believe it came with nothing. I bought an engine harness from the other harness company and it had pretty good instructions, but I was going to have to wait 3 weeks. I want it finished by 3 weeks time.

------------------
my 67 droptop

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The diag's on Dale's site are a lifesaver - quite complete. Unfortunately, not many of my wire colors for the new harness match the original colors from 1967. So I'm having to do a point to point trace - not fun....but the diagrams absolutely help solve some of the puzzle.

Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought a Painless Performance harness kit through Summit Racing website. It works and is well built, but my main problem is the condition of the electrical system when I got the car. I was a hack job supreme. In fact, I'm amazed the car didn't just burst into flames at some point - hey...maybe it did....

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts