Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new dash pad but notice that there are no holes for the two screws that secure either side to the dash. Also there are no holes for the row of small phillips head screws underneath the dash. Is this normal (make your own holes to avoid alignment problems?) or should the pad have come with holes in it?
Also, the body by fisher manual I have indicates the there should be some clips underneath the forward edge of the pad. Would also appreciate any advice from anyone who has ever tried to replace one of these.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just did this, too. I had the two holes on the side. One lined up and one didn't so I had to drill another hole in the dash to make it work, It was about a 1/4 inch off. The 7 holes across the front were not there, but that is no problem since when you go to screw in the dash, they'll penetrate the material without much trouble. I did have three or four studs imbedded in the foam that bolted down the front edge of the pad. I would think these are a must to keep it looking right. Hope this helps.
jmw

·
Registered
14 Posts
The screws at the bottom of the pad don't go through the pad, they go through the dash first then through the bracket attached to the pad and into a plastic nut attached to the dash. Clear enough?

------------------

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just wondering how the dash pad looks compared to the old one? And who did you get it from?

------------------
Tom
Southern,IL
67SS Yellow right now:(
Member #409

·
Registered
313 Posts
I got the dash pad from Classic Muscle, 1-800-722-4828.

The front screws did not go into the pad at all. The vinyl has a lip of an inch or so that is covered by the top edge of the dash assembly when you lift it into place. This puts the vinyl material in between the metal dash assembly and the metal dash itself. By pushing up a bit on the screw and turning a couple of times, the screw bites through the vinyl and finds the plastic nut it is supposed to go into. This is typical for the 7 screws across the very top of the dash assembly, just to be specific. I don't know if this is the same as a stock one or not, maybe the lip is not as wide as the repro. I took mine out 3 years ago and don't really remember what it looked like other than being sun warped and cracked. Anyway I like this better than trying to trim it out since it makes the seam look tight and straight where the pad and dash assembly come together. I do not know what brackets you are referring to, but mine turned out just like I wanted.

Just re read both my posts and need to clarify front/back. The front screws are closest to the driver. The back four studs are closer to the windshield, (not by much). The one I got came with washers and nuts for the studs and the side holes pre punched.

jmw

[This message has been edited by jmw (edited 02-16-2000).]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Question on dash pads. I need to replace mine also. I notice most come in black - what's best way to color match the interior.
Thanks. This site is awesome!!

------------------
1967 chevelle ss396 cpe
Team Chevelle Member #574
IF YOU REMEMBER THE 60'S - YOU WEREN'T THERE!!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
The dashpad i received had no holes either, made my own with an awl and looks great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.