Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - should my 67SS rear passenger antenna lower all the way down? Currently it sticks up like 2ft (basically roof height) and looks weird. Is it not supposed to go all the way down and sit on top of the rear passenger fender?

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
249 Posts
That’s an optional antenna that comes with the push button am radio, just like I had on my new ‘67. As I recall it didn’t go down all the way but it should go pretty far down to the lower section at least....maybe 8” or 10”” above the quarter panel. But, I’m going from memory. Good for you as the rear antenna is so much better than the standard front antenna imo!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s an optional antenna that comes with the push button am radio, just like I had on my new ‘67. As I recall it didn’t go down all the way but it should go pretty far down to the lower section at least....maybe 8” or 10”” above the quarter panel. But, I’m going from memory. Good for you as the rear antenna is so much better than the standard front antenna imo!
Thanks! I went and looked at it more closely and it clearly doesn't go down any lower than it currently is. I have never actually used the AM radio... so maybe I'll install smaller antenna or cap. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
368 Posts
1967 Chevelle rear antenna...on my 67 SS, ordered with a AM/PB radio and rear manual antenna, came mounted on R rear 1/4 panel, was some where between 27 and 31 inches long COLLAPSED. This antenna was used for AM or AM/FM radios. Note 31 inches is the ideal length needed for a 1/4 wave FM reception antenna and GM used only 1 rear non-powered antenna to cover both aps. Best AM reception was with the antenna fully extended especially in "fringe" reception areas. The antenna shaft on my 67 was not round but oval, perhaps to minimize "drag". It sounds like you have the correct antenna..if oval in shape. You can google "optimum FM auto antenna length" for a further discussion, informative...FWIW

·
Registered
1970 SS 396 25-C, 1966 SS R-R
789 Posts
I don't believe a rear mounted antenna was available with FM, only AM radios.

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
368 Posts
I stand corrected, according to Chevelle Stuff, the rear antenna was not available with FM or on station wagons...sorry. Only AM

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
1967 Chevelle rear antenna...on my 67 SS, ordered with a AM/PB radio and rear manual antenna, came mounted on R rear 1/4 panel, was some where between 27 and 31 inches long COLLAPSED. This antenna was used for AM or AM/FM radios. Note 31 inches is the ideal length needed for a 1/4 wave FM reception antenna and GM used only 1 rear non-powered antenna to cover both aps. Best AM reception was with the antenna fully extended especially in "fringe" reception areas. The antenna shaft on my 67 was not round but oval, perhaps to minimize "drag". It sounds like you have the correct antenna..if oval in shape. You can google "optimum FM auto antenna length" for a further discussion, informative...FWIW
I stand corrected, according to Chevelle Stuff, the rear antenna was not available with FM or on station wagons...sorry. Only AM
On 67 Chevelles:

- An AM/FM radio got a thin, fixed mast, non-adjustable antenna on the front fender. Rear antenna was not available with FM, and FM did not use the adjustable masts that were used with the AM radios.

- An AM with the standard front antenna got a ROUND mast adjustable antenna.

- An AM with the optional rear antenna got an OVAL mast adjustable antenna.

Don't ask me why they didn't use the new-for-67 oval mast on the front for AM's too, but they didn't! Camaro's did, but not Chevelles. (Unsure about Impalas.)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not that it matters to this conversation but years ago I had a nice 68 Chevelle ragtop. The previous owner had installed a rear 1//4 power antenna that went up when you turned the radio on. I have to say that even though it was never a factory option. I really liked it.

The best part was that when I stored the car over the winter, the antenna was pretty flush with the 1/4 panel and it made putting the car cover on easy as pie.

My 67 has a rear 1/4 antenna and when I put the cover on, I actually unscrew the antenna from the base so my cover goes on and off easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts