Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This body to bumper seal for a 67. I’m in the final stage of installing trim after pulling this car apart 5 years ago. This stuff was laying around. Probably ordered it years ago from OPGI and it makes no sense in where or how it would install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
The rubber flaps are positioned both above & below the body flange as shown in the attachment below. Inner & outer tangs go above the flange, the center tang goes below. That is why there are cuts to the material, so you can stagger it around the flange.

I must say the reprinted Assembly Instruction Manual has been referenced 100's of thousands of times and I recommend them to anybody that turns a wrench on these cars. It even makes a great read in the john. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Hey Joe, I see that great minds think alike! :D We posted only seconds apart.
Lol, but mine is jacked! Gotta lay on your side to see it properly!

Joe

·
Registered
607 Posts
i have a sept 65 built 66ss and mine has a full length rock shield,and those hockey stick flaps are stapled to it not the flange.

·
Premium Member
'66 Aztec Bronze
1,314 Posts
i have a sept 65 built 66ss and mine has a full length rock shield,and those hockey stick flaps are stapled to it not the flange.
What is a full length rock shield? Aftermarket item?

Any pics?

·
Registered
607 Posts
raider i had a thread a year or so ago about this and posted pics of the actual piece actually pieces as it cracked and broke right above the gas tank fill neck.i will see if i can find it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help. I have an assembly manual but not the fisher manual. I don’t recall seeing this in the assembly manual when I looked. Anyway, I Just realized this evening that I have to remove the rear bumper that I just installed since I can’t get the back up lights in with it on. Story of my life. Upside is now I can put these here seals in rather than toss them in that box of parts I deem non-essential.

·
Premium Member
'66 Aztec Bronze
1,314 Posts
i have a sept 65 built 66ss and mine has a full length rock shield, and those hockey stick flaps are stapled to it not the flange.
Thanx for your feedback & link cherokeepeople.

Just to be devils advocate - what proof do you have that this full length rock shield is a 66 Chevelle factory installed item? I've never heard of this on a 66 Chevelle (not that I'm a Chevelle expert, but I'm trying to learn more). I see yours looks like it's been there for a long time, but that doesn't mean it was a original factory installed item. Is it called out anywhere an a build sheet or code or offered as a factory option? Nobody that I know of reproduces this for a 66 Chevelle and even Steele is sending you to a Impala part to modify because they don't list it for a Chevelle. It's hard for me to think that with all the repo houses out there; they all missed an opportunity to offer this extrusion for Chevelle's if it was a factory item. My Kansas built '66 had no evidence of this rock shield, but it did have the hockey sticks.

From the looks of your pictures it looks like it could be visible at the uppermost top on a Chevelle even with the bumper installed. Is that the case?

·
Registered
607 Posts
i have had this car for over 40 years and its been there since i got it.previous owner said the car was repainted early 70's and you can see the primer and paint overspray on it from the repaint.also the hockey sticks they sell staple to the flange,this piece, they staple to it,so no staple holes in the flange which mine does not have.only thing i can think of is it's an early build,kinda like the early and late hoods on the SS.and your last question,yes when the bumper is in place you can see it between the bumper and taillight panel.i'm gonna have to do a deep dive and see if i can find a part number on the old one somewhere.i might add the original one is molded perfectly to set on that flange,the impala one is straight so i need to cut out a small section on the back edge so i can get it to set on the flange behind the fill neck.

·
Registered
607 Posts
i need to clarify this a little,on mine there is no staple holes where the flaps would staple BUT this full length gravel shield was stapled inboard of the flaps and the staples were put in under the top of the shield,so for them to staple it they had to press it on the flange and then pull the shield up and staple,so when it was on the staples were hidden.the second pic just above the white bottle you can see one of the staples.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'66 Aztec Bronze
1,314 Posts
Do you know of any other 66 Chevelle's that have / had this rock shield from the factory? You are the first time I heard of this.

·
Registered
607 Posts
i have never seen another one.i guess we need to call out to others with sept built chevelles to see if they have one!if this is not original someone went to a heck of alot of work just to keep gravel from getting above the bumper.

·
Premium Member
'66 Aztec Bronze
1,314 Posts
I agree - a lot of extra work!

The thing is there isn't a lot of clearance in that area for anything to make it's way up and around the metal flange. Maybe there is a lot of clearance on a Impala, but not on a 66 Chevelle.

·
Premium Member
'66 Aztec Bronze
1,314 Posts
yes, I agree at the outer ends, but I question having it along the whole length on a 66 Chevelle. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts